Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by seagoatami View Post
    after reading all the replys you got, in my opinion it looks like a deal you should shy away from, sounds like it may have been stolen from a navy life raft, there is no statuete of limitations on stolen fire arms to the best of my knowledge. ps fire arms are title B equipment that means they have to be signed for and they are tracked.
    A vet passed away . A friend sold his firearms for the widow because their son was an ex-felon . One dat her hot water heater started leaking and my friend went over to help . As they were clearing a path to the heater , they found a bag with two AR15 type guns in them . He brought them to me to ID , they were late '60s M16s . He freaked out , I took them and stripped them down and had my friendly neighdorhood sheriff take the two lowers . The military no longer had any intrest in these as their records only went back 19 years as that was the statuete of limitation on stolen firearms . The Sheriff kept the lowers for their use and we sold the rest.
    Chris

Never got to look at the supply packages that were attached to the life rafts. In training we were taught that these rafts self-released from the upper structure of the ships as the ship was sinking and self inflated. Attached to these rafts was a basic supply pack with some canned fresh water, basic food and other survival items, think the rafts were designed for 20 or more men and round in shape. Included with the gear was a pistol, reason was most likely sailors were not armed at the time of abandoning ship. Never saw this " survival pack " included with the life raft. ( thank god ) But it was understood from the captain to the lowest rank sailor that these rafts were not to be touched in any way for any reason, it's easy to understand why. If this pistol in a spam can was indeed from on of these rafts, punishment would be beyond severe, at least while the ship was in service. Think it could have well come from a ship that was scrapped though. How it got to the current owner would be interesting, and I'm sure that they could be tracked. If this was survival gear from a life raft, couldn't pay me to own it if pilfered from a raft. ( old sailors bad luck in it's worse form )
    Chris

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

If it's in a spam can, how is it known to be a Remington Rand and how is the serial number known? i.e., how do you legally transfer the pistol?
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

Long time ago Springfield Armory (the real one) had a display of cut open 'spam cans' filled with M3 grease guns, packed in grease for long term storage. I believe the guns were placed in the can and then it was topped off with liquid grease. Guns not removed in this display but they looked in good shape.

Why would the Navy pack a gun in a spam can?? Even in a life raft ? Sorry, that sounds pertty ridicules to me. Sorry abut that, there is something wrong with that story.