Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Remington Rand in spam can ?

I have a chance to buy a sealed in the spam can Remington Rand 1911.My concern is what condition the 1911 may be in after 70 years.I don't know how they were packed,cosmoline I would think.The last thing I want is to spend a lot of money to find a rusted hunk of metal.If I get it,not sure I would open it,but still would like to know..Does anybody know or have any experience with this ? Any ideas on the value of this in today's market? Thanks for any help...I'll post pics if I'm lucky.....
    I'm being told that 1911's didn't come that way.Thanks for any help on this.

Wondering if that's how they packed the 1911's that were stored in the Navy inflatable life rafts ??? Supposedly each life raft had a 45 pistol and ammo stored with the survival gear ?? Is their any markings on the spam can ??
    Chris

I have not seen it yet,but the guy says the can is marked Remington Rand.I will be seeing it this weekend....

1911A1s were for the most part packed in a tagboard box wrapped in some VCI paper...

From a Remington Rand document dated February 20, 1945:

"Dip in rust preventative oil AXS-674 (fifteen minutes). Let drain on rack twenty-five minutes.
    Wrap in creped waterproof, greaseproof grade "C" type "3" paper AXS-840-1. Put in foil bag (Butvar Type A-51). Press out air or use vacuum to remove air and heat seal,

This sort of refutes the old "still packed in original cosmoline".

Has anyone here seen the 45's that were packaged in the survival gear on US Navy inflatable life rafts??? Don't know how they stored the supplies and gear, but it was impervious to salt water and not serviced but once in a blue moon, storing a pistol for this application, a spam can would almost seam logical. These rafts were set to self-release from outside storage on ships upon sinking and self-inflate.
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris W.; 11-23-2015 at 07:25.

I have spoken to Hayes Otoupalik and Scott Meadows and they have never seen this type of packaging either.So we will just have to wait till I see it.

Blog Entries

I'm very interested to see what it is. As an aside, I searched around and I can't find any evidence Remington Arms made spam can ammo.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Well,here is the latest update.....The guy was to be back in town last week with the goods.I called his cell twice and left mags,the last asking for him to call me and let me know if there was a problem,if we were still going to do the deal...Not
    A response.....Nothing !! I'm not going to kiss his a$$....so,unless he gets it touch with me,it's a done deal....I have no idea what happened...Had no reason to doubt his intentions....Sorry for the undo excitement...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W. View Post
    Wondering if that's how they packed the 1911's that were stored in the Navy inflatable life rafts ??? Supposedly each life raft had a 45 pistol and ammo stored with the survival gear ?? Is their any markings on the spam can ??
    Chris
    after reading all the replys you got, in my opinion it looks like a deal you should shy away from, sounds like it may have been stolen from a navy life raft, there is no statuete of limitations on stolen fire arms to the best of my knowledge. ps fire arms are title B equipment that means they have to be signed for and they are tracked.