Default FN SPR short range.

I have a bunch of .308 bolt actions in the herd. All the way from 18" Savage 110 up to 26" Rem 700P. This is my favorite, FN SPR with the fluted 20" heavy chrome lined barrel in 1-12. It came with the McMillan stock. I have her scoped with a Leupold MK4 8.5 -25. Sub 1/2 min rifle. Today I was working up a 200yd load for the Sierra 125 gr TMK. Best performance was with 45 gr of IMR 4895 in LC cases with Fed. 210M primers. Chrono at 2720 - 2760. Had even better performance than the 135 gr Bergers that I had been using.

Semper Fi
    Art

Blog Entries

Very nice! I've been wanting to explore a 1:12 twist 308.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

3. Default

I've got an FN SPR also. A little different than yours...mine has an HS stock and a 26" barrel.

I put a Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite Tactical scope on mine
    Last edited by Calfed; 12-08-2015 at 08:20.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Very nice. I just finished installing the FN TBM conversion and have a supply of their 10 rnd mags. I can't use the old 4 rounders so I guess they will get pigeon holed for now

Completed the conversion to 10 rnd TBMs. They drop like a rock with the touch of the mag release. Back out today with the old steel shooting load. 168 gr SMK over 41.5 gr of IMR 4895 with 210m primers in LC brass traveling at about 2550. Instead of the crack as with the lighter bullets this produces more of a boom and a little stronger push on the shoulder. Still maintaining less than 1/2 moa over the coarse. Re-affirmed the dope for this load now so we can go back out and play with the M14s. Temp is right around 40 and it's sunny. My kinda shooting day.

Semper Fi
    Art

Very nice rifle!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Completed the conversion to 10 rnd TBMs. They drop like a rock with the touch of the mag release. Back out today with the old steel shooting load. 168 gr SMK over 41.5 gr of IMR 4895 with 210m primers in LC brass traveling at about 2550. Instead of the crack as with the lighter bullets this produces more of a boom and a little stronger push on the shoulder. Still maintaining less than 1/2 moa over the coarse. Re-affirmed the dope for this load now so we can go back out and play with the M14s. Temp is right around 40 and it's sunny. My kinda shooting day.

Semper Fi
    Art
    Nice conversion, Art.

Were there any catches, or was it pretty straight forward?
    Last edited by Calfed; 12-21-2015 at 10:59.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Using the FN conversion kit there were no surprises. Take out two screws, pull the bottom metal, insert new metal and screws and that was it. At least in my case no problems at all. The kit comes with 1 10rnd and 1 5 rnd mag. I bought an extra 4 10 rounders for the steel coarse. Every one feeds fine. Way better than I expected from all the negative characters reports.