Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

The scarcity of 1917 M1903 rifles is probably driven by an order issued to SA from the Chief of Ordnance in 1919 to destroy the receivers of all rifles coming back from France that were manufactured in 1917. They didn't miss many.

J.B.

p.s.,

The order did not cover USMC rifles.

Wow, well now it makes sense why they're so very scarce. Thanks John for that bit of Very interesting information!

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    The scarcity of 1917 M1903 rifles is probably driven by an order issued to SA from the Chief of Ordnance in 1919 to destroy the receivers of all rifles coming back from France that were manufactured in 1917. They didn't miss many.J.B.p.s.,The order did not cover USMC rifles.
    Then could it be surmised that those very few 1917 made 03's that appear to have survived the order to destroy all returning rifles made in 1917 could have possibly been used by the Marines? That'd be an interesting possibility for Steve Norton and some of the other USMC enthusiasts to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Then could it be surmised that those very few 1917 made 03's that appear to have survived the order to destroy all returning rifles made in 1917 could have possibly been used by the Marines? That'd be an interesting possibility for Steve Norton and some of the other USMC enthusiasts to think about.
    Such a supposition would not be accurate. The USMC did indeed receive rifles in 1917, and some of them survived. But some Army-issued rifles survived also, relatively speaking.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 11-24-2015 at 10:08.

Thanks John.

Normally, I don't recommend taking pictures of firearms in sunlight, but you seem to have a good "system". I'm gueesing early morning or late afternoon?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I think that it was mid day Rick. Of course we live so far North, and it being Winter, the sun is low in the Southern sky. The sun is shining directly from the South in the photos.

Last edited by Fred; 05-01-2016 at 05:06.