Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman

Sheesh.......my wife is going to cut me off for sure. I've acquired three S&W revolvers in the last 30 days. Found another deal on a nice N-Frame. Figured this Model 28 would be a good companion piece to the Model 27 I bought earlier. Seems to be in great shape. Ser # N502XXX leads me to believe it was manufactured between 1978-80. Overall condition and blueing is excellent. Got it for what I think is a fair price of $650.00. Think all it needs is a nice set of oversized, target grips and plenty of ammo to keep it and me happy.

28-2 1.JPG28-2 2.JPG28-2 3.JPG28-2 4.JPG28-2 5.JPG

Nice. If your wife says anything about your 3 Smiths in 30 days you may want to say you went years w/o buying anything? This 28 with the matt finish makes an excellent shooter while your pristine 27 lives in the safety of your safe or closet. Good price.

Waugh a P&R'ed model 28 S&W in (from what I can see) mid to high 90's% condition for $650.00?... ya done good anywhere Oy...our ancestors would be proud......... congrats again sir........if you need to borrow a hack saw to get that barrel down to 4" or 5" let me know..........a dremel tool could cut a slot on the end of the barrel for you to super glue part of a penny on for a new front sight..........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Yes, it is a P&R model. I had wanted a Model 28 with a 4" bbl but, those are difficult to find at a good price locally. This 28 was in such good condition and priced right; I know I would have regretted passing it up. I have been extremely lucky here recently in stumbling upon some great deals and fortunately I had the funds available too. Maybe I ought to buy a power ball lotto ticket. Grin.

5. Default

I have a set of Herrett's Shooting Star grips on my 28. Back when they were an over the counter item. My hand is about average; a 1911 is comfortable and a J-frame needs a Tyler's at minimum to feel right.

You did extremely well, the 6" versions aren't really rare but they aren't really common either. If you get the oversize grips don't sell the service grips unless its to me. I could use a pair and their darned hard to get.

I can't shoot N frames with the S&W target grips, just too darned big. I bought a pair of the new model service grips for my Model 27. They're flatter and good grips, , but I prefer the old service grips like the ones on your gun myself, have them on my model 28 and shoot it great with them.

That gun would look darned great with a Tyler "T" Grip grip adaptor on it, period correct and you might like it better than the big target jobs. You will have to order from the factory though.
    Last edited by Art; 11-20-2015 at 03:52.

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

Second the advice on the Tyler grip adaptor.

Last time I ordered from Tyler direct, you had to download an order form and then and mail it to them with check or money order or what-not, no on-line ordering or credit cards and then you waited by your mailbox for the adaptor to arrive. Similar to when we were kids, ordering stuff from the back of cereal boxes and Popular Mechanics. Still and all it's kind of nice to deal with an old-school outfit considering these days and times. I just checked their website and nothing much has changed, and they're backed up several weeks for shipping as well.

However there are several Tyler's on Gunbroker right now handled by the Robertson outfit and those folks are reliable, as well as quite a few on ebay. Occasionally some with a bit of service wear will turn up at those places as well; I just bought one with a little wear off gunbroker this morning myself.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

This here is what I use. After shooting my model 29 44 mag about 5 rounds I noticed I would start to flinch on additional shots. The reason being the checkering on the grips had eaten into the palms of my hands and further recoil was annoying. You could see the checkering, the grip screw head and where the S&W emblem would have been in the palm of your hand. I switched to factory target grips w/o the checkering and it made all the difference in the world. Here is a pair like I use on my 29 (could not dig the gun out of storage at time of writing). I bought these to go on my 629 but decided the gray laminated grips looked better on the stainless steel. The gray ones are after market but have still have the S&W emblem. Some of my pistols came with soft rubber grips which are fine also but I like wood. As mentioned above GB and ebay have many to chose from.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen; 11-21-2015 at 12:03.

Very nice. My 27 sits in the safe in a display box. I have a 686 SS to shoot. But I do love blue steel.

10. Default

My 6" M-28 and my 4" M-57 have Herrett's Shooting Stars, my 4' M-27 has Pachmayrs. Comfortable grips are a MUST IMHO.