Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

A possibility to be sure, but quite the gamble, given the target clientele - since that ruse would ultimately fall apart, somehow.

All the more reason to request better pictures of the wood, including all markings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    NO problem, whatsoever - you will recall I asked for such candor, right up front. That's how we learn. Thank you very much.

Assuming, since the profile in his photo does not match the drawing (edge too sharp) that it may not be correct, how do we account for the stock not having a sling swivel?
    The late Mike Kokolus was a master of reproducing Springfield gun stocks. I am aware that he made at least one reproduction Air Service stock and perhaps two more. Certainly he could have made lots more. (And I find no fault with that).

I have good photos of a real Air Service stock in my files. It's clear the Gunbroker rifle stock is a reproduction.

I have a lengthy article that gives the complete history of and describes the Air Service rifles in intricate detail. The article is very scholarly written and draws heavily on documents from the National Archives. The gunbroker rifle does not match the description.

And, finally, I can count on two fingers the number of known authentic Air Service rifles that reside in private collections. And neither one of those two are very original. One has a replacement barreled receiver and the other has a reproduction stock. I can find no evidence that the government ever officially sold or released any.

J.B.

John, thank you so much for the above explanation. Wish you'd been more verbose in responses 2,6, or 8. Would have settled the matter - I look upon you as the last word for 1903s.

I do also.

I stay away from AS M1903s like I do sniper rifles - too much chance of fakery.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I would personally rather find a really sharp looking pre WWI 03 than an Air Service rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I would personally rather find a really sharp looking pre WWI 03 than an Air Service rifle.
    +1 !!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Fred,

Yo' mailbox is full. I have a message for you.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    Fred,

Yo' mailbox is full. I have a message for you.

J.B.
    OK John, I've created more space.

ahhhh.... NOPE..
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.