Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Will me your ammo!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I retired at 56 almost 10 years ago and I think most of us Baby Boomers will make it through this life without too much difficulty. I hold out no such hope for my kids or grandkids; there will be changes and they will be interesting, I'm afraid.
    At 78, I hope to make it out OK, but like you, Rick, I fear for my kids and grand-kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I retired at 56 almost 10 years ago and I think most of us Baby Boomers will make it through this life without too much difficulty. I hold out no such hope for my kids or grandkids; there will be changes and they will be interesting, I'm afraid.
    Young people who are healthy, smart, and energetic will make it just fine. It's retirees living on Social Security and others living/dependent on government assistance who will be hurt first and foremost.

J.B.

Blog Entries

I have a great fear that the coming changes for our grandkids will be more than just interesting if we don't start changing things back to normal starting now... Starting with P C etc.

I wish I could share JB's optimism and I hope he's right. But I fear he will be wrong.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries

John has it half right, but the kids will still be saddled with 20 trillion by the time TPOTUS is done with us....

7. Default

My attorney is an old geezer as am I. He once told me that in the old days, cheating mates was the #1 cause of divorces around here (rural area), but that now the overwhelming cause of divorce is lack of income by the dominant spouse. He demands his money up front, whereas in the old days he had little problem getting paid, as no one wanted their credit damaged. He thinks people these days just accept bad credit as a way of life, and a huge number of his customers live on welfare.

I don't often disagree with JB, but on this issue I believe the youth of today will have a much more difficult time creating a lifestyle comparable to that which existed in the fifties and sixties, where even uneducated people could find good paying jobs, own a nice home with one new car and a old clunker for daily use. My dad was an uneducated welder working out of a union local who bought a 4-bedroom brick home in a nice neighborhood and put five kids through college. My younger brother didn't want to go to college, but he has been very successful in life.

Any economy depends on innovation and invention for economic growth, but there has been a national emphasis on increasing efficiency to generate capital for about thirty years now. If you don't believe me, try borrowing money for a capital project. The lenders know they can generate income faster by increasing efficiency of a known product line without the inherent risk of marketing a new product. The result has been devastating for our industrial complex, which has resulted in reduction of total employment figures. Who's to blame? Believe it or not, our educational system's use of continually improving computers is to blame. Couple that progress with our national decline in the willingness to take risks, and you have long term economic failure in a bottle.

jt

Agreed by me also Jt. I really have been saying for awhile now that nobody wants to take risks. This country was made on risks some success some fail but that's life. Seems that now everyone just wants a guaranteed risk. They have risk managers that are probably just as bad as having lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    My attorney is an old geezer as am I. He once told me that in the old days, cheating mates was the #1 cause of divorces around here (rural area), but that now the overwhelming cause of divorce is lack of income by the dominant spouse. He demands his money up front, whereas in the old days he had little problem getting paid, as no one wanted their credit damaged. He thinks people these days just accept bad credit as a way of life, and a huge number of his customers live on welfare.

I don't often disagree with JB, but on this issue I believe the youth of today will have a much more difficult time creating a lifestyle comparable to that which existed in the fifties and sixties, where even uneducated people could find good paying jobs, own a nice home with one new car and a old clunker for daily use. My dad was an uneducated welder working out of a union local who bought a 4-bedroom brick home in a nice neighborhood and put five kids through college. My younger brother didn't want to go to college, but he has been very successful in life.

Any economy depends on innovation and invention for economic growth, but there has been a national emphasis on increasing efficiency to generate capital for about thirty years now. If you don't believe me, try borrowing money for a capital project. The lenders know they can generate income faster by increasing efficiency of a known product line without the inherent risk of marketing a new product. The result has been devastating for our industrial complex, which has resulted in reduction of total employment figures. Who's to blame? Believe it or not, our educational system's use of continually improving computers is to blame. Couple that progress with our national decline in the willingness to take risks, and you have long term economic failure in a bottle.

jt
    Agree, as well, although I don't have quite the good memories from the past. I think we were just willing to get by with less. But we did enjoy a good life. This may come across as very sexist, but look at the vast number of moms that have to work outside the home; yes, I know many make that decision, but it many families it is a must.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I agree with you also Rick. I'm 63 but I think we could have gotten by with less years ago. Not today. I believe that woman with families must work to help make ends meet.