Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Default Air Corps 1903 rifle

Did anyone see the Air Corps 1903 on gunbroker? I have never heard of such a thing. I should stop fishing so much. Based on what I've seen on line, this could be the real deal. Still time to bid. Any opinions?

The seller lists the rifle as a "1903 Springfield Sporter". I concur.

J.B.

Uhhh - are we talking about 523122058? Sure looks like an Air Service (or at the very least an attempt to fake one) to me. Definitely NOT your normal 1903 sporter, or 1903 Sporting Rifle.

This will be interesting to watch...

<br><br>http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=523122058

Serial range is correct. Patina/color/wear is certainly a believable match. Components at least look like the ASR pictures I've seen. The real clue, I think, is "missing magazine parts".
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 11-19-2015 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Uhhh - are we talking about 523122058? Sure looks like an Air Service (or at the very least an attempt to fake one) to me. Definitely NOT your normal 1903 sporter, or 1903 Sporting Rifle.
    Yes, my concurrence was addressed at 523122058. And I concur with your comment as qualified in parentheses.

J.B.

Thanks, John. Interesting.

I searched for "Air Corps" and found nothing, then tried "1903 Sporter", which ultimately led me to that one. Seller makes no special claim, though his price expectation is clearly absurd unless he thought (hoped?) that was what it was, and was just being coy.

I'm not clear on what OP thought was "the real deal" either! One swell foop, I guess.

My expertise lies in trapdoors and Krags, I can be had on '03s. Don't know seller, wouldn't have wanted the rifle anyhow, but, like Fred, I at least thought it worth asking about.

I cannot rule out the possibility that the rifle might be an authentic Air Service rifle. Certainly the serial number falls in the right range. And it appears to be fitted with an authentic Air Service band and rear sight. But the overall evidence is not convincing.

J.B.

It's pretty clean looking. Not any patina on the stock. No dust in any crevices. No dried grease on the bolt or anywhere. It looks almost too clean to have been a rifle that's been regarded and treated as just a Sporter by somebody for 98 years.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-20-2015 at 12:33.

10. Default

If this an original air service 1903, wouldn't it be the rarest of 1903 variants? What cartouches should it have????? What would be a realistic value.