1. Default 5.56 brass question

Recently acquired a lot of 5.56 LC brass. Have heard somewhere in the past that it has a reduced powder capacity due to wall thickness. I will be using them in my .223 chamber. (seem to weigh same as .223) I have trimmed, full sized, and small based them. Can I load to the .223 specs?

Thanks,

Bob

What you heard was mistaken. There is no general difference between thickness of .223 and 5.56 cases (as your weight comparison shows). There is certainly variation among manufacturers and sometimes different lots, as well as small variation between individual cases in the same lot - but no overall trend.

There is a definite difference in weight/thickness between military 7.62 NATO and most commercial .308 Win. cases. The misinformation you received is probably derived by erroneous application of that fact to the .223/5.56 question.

OP: Can I load to the .223 specs?"

Sure, not a problem.

I second what Parashooter said.
    The mil spec 5.56 ammo is usually hotter than 223. That's one reason they say not to shoot 5.56 in a usually tighter 223 chambered gun. They also increase the throat or lead length for higher pressure 5.56 loads in 5.56 chambered rifles.
    In other words, 223 load data is lower powdered than 5.56 ammo data so you should be good to go with 223 data in any 223 or 5.56 chambered gun. Where as 5.56 ammo shouldn't be fired through a 223 chambered gun. It COULD increase pressures to unacceptable levels.
    HTH
    Dave

5. Default

Hey guys, thanks for he info. I will address the 7.62 as stated.