Default Sub sonic 308 loads

Does anyone have any sub sonic 308 loads (used with a 175 gr. bullet) that can be used in a Remington 700 SPS with a suppressor? Thanks

you need to buy a 300 blackout--then you can shoot a rifle round with pistol MV

I'm not sure there is any such thing. The 308 starting loads still propel a 175 to 210 gr. bullet at around 2000 fps. That's a little less than twice the speed of sound. You probably know that loads below starting loads can be just as dangerous as over max loads. Bringing a 308 down to sub-sonic levels is something I wouldn't even consider trying. Squib loads can blow up your gun just as easily as an overload.
    Suppressed 308's still will have the super-sonic boom but the explosion boom is considerably quieted but you will still hear the sonic boom.
    If you want a truly suppressed 30 cal. the 300 blackout is the way to go.
    Last edited by DaveL; 11-09-2015 at 06:44.

4. Default

Speed of sound is 1117fps at sea level. You'd have to take DaveL's starting load in his post above down another 1000fps to get to subsonic. I've put together a bunch of reduced loads for kids and small adults and have never tried what you want to do. If I needed to reduce speed as much as you want to do, I'd look for a round that starts with a smaller case. Those .300 blackout suggestions you're getting are on the money in my book. Some of the loads use 200gr bullets. They are slow but they are thumpers at the ranges they're designed for. To get to subsonic with a .308, you're going to have some tiny powder charges with radically inconsistent ignition. .308 wasn't designed to go there....

Yes to what Jim said. I'm loading 220 grain subs (1050 fps) for my 300 Blackout and they really hit like a sledge hammer out to about 100 yards or maybe a little farther. But they drop off very fast after that. Most people are loading subs with either 200, 208 or 220 grain bullets. I hear the 208's were designed for the blackouts sub-Sonic's load but I haven't tried them yet. (Has anyone else tried them?)
    Remember, when hand loading, SAFTY FIRST. A squib load will ruin your gun and your day... or month... or year.
    Please don't try to run a 308 Win. with sub-sonic loads. Your just looking for trouble if you do.
    HTH
    Dave
    Last edited by DaveL; 11-09-2015 at 06:47.

Take a look at the article by C.E. Harris entitled "The Load." Here is a link to the article... http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html . Very helpful information on reduced loads for not just .308 but various common military calibers. Likely find something that will be helpful to you. Good luck. Sincerely. bruce.
    Last edited by bruce; 11-09-2015 at 07:47.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Blog Entries

I shot a guy's handi rifle suppressed in 308 with a subsonic 220 grain load. I don't know what the charge was, but hitting the 200 yard gong was like mortar fire! I think time to target was about like a 45 acp.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur