Thread: CMP question

1. Default CMP question

Is there a way to check if an M-1 came through CMP? The reason I ask is that a mid-WW II rifle showed up locally in an estate. It is supposedly a CMP collector grade, but has no paperwork, and no build sheet under the butt trap. The only thing that’s not right about it is the missing cap on the front sight screw, but it’s right in the transition for that (1,440,000 range), and I happen to have a gas cylinder with a capped sight. Overall, it looks like came out of Springfield last week. If it’s a build-back, whoever did the restoration knew what they were doing. I normally go for service grade, but this one is too nice to pass up, if it’s for real.

Here you go from the CMP FAQ section.

Will the CMP research a serial number to see if it had ever been sold by the DCM or CMP?

A.

We will perform the research. Research often involves going through boxes of old records. Our files are only complete from 1996 to the present. We do have some earlier files, but know they are incomplete. We require a letter request with payment and we will respond by letter stating if we found anything, and if so – when we sold it and what model it was we actually sold. We will not identify original purchaser. Allow 2-3 weeks per serial number.

We regret not being able to perform this service for free. We receive dozens of requests each week and it can take up to one hour just to find that we do not have any record of a serial number being researched. Charge is $25.00 per serial number, prepaid, whether we find anything or not.

If interested, send letter to CMP, ATTN: Serial Number Research, 1401 Commerce Blvd., Anniston, AL 36207."
    Good luck, hope they have the record!
    -Lemming

"I'm tryin' ta think, but nothin' happens!!!!"
    -Curly Howard

3. Default

Thank you! Somehow I managed to overlook that on the CMP website.