View Poll Results: Do you like it when people say "Thank you for your service"?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 64.52%
  • No

11 35.48%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

i do my best to offer a word of thanks to my brothers when i notice them... While at wallyworld today thanking the ones i saw, 'BAM', some dude said "thank you for your service sir" After he and i presume his wife walked on, my wife turned and with a smile said, that's a first... She was meaning that she's never heard anyone thank me for my service as i always wear some headgear that would signify my service, which i'm very proud to have done... Honestly, i've never had that from someone I've not said it to first...
    Even with all our problems, this is still the greatest country in the ones i've been too to live in...
    bombdog, out...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

I didn't get thanked back in 1971, and I don't want to be thanked now. I view any "thank you" that I do get from today (when someone finds out that I served in the USMC) as a Political Correctness. I know I went in, and I'm proud of that fact. I don't need their thank you(s). Just put a market on my grave that indicates I was willing to serve my country when needed. Maybe it will influence someone to do the same if needed again.

Too late for Korea and too early for Vietnam, three years army and nearly 30 in the Arizona ANG
    I only got one of those "thank you's" and I don't think I deserved it
    Only got serious once when we went after Norieaga in Panama.
    Now the funny bit. We were in three story barracks. They moved us out and put THREE women in them while the rest of us were put in wooden hooches with air conditioners
    The power went out and when it came back on all those air conditioners tries to start at the same time! Sounded just like machine gun fire!

I stayed in USAF after VN so I really didn't give much of a s**t one way or the other. Folks were not saying this until long after I retired in the 90's, but I admit it is somewhat embarrassing still. It seems like it is slightly more than just "have a nice day."

It is meaningful when coming from people who have someone currently serving, or has lost someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    . You never see vets thanking other vets for serving; they don't need to....a connection already exists between them. If people want to thank me for my service, then the best way they can do that is to drag their asses down to the nearest recruiter and sign an enlistment contract otherwise STFU and leave me alone.
    Oh, I must disagree! I have vets thank me all the time while wearing a 'hat'. I just reply, 'and you too'. You sound bitter about something?
    You can never go home again.

Only time I "advertise" being a Vet (besides my 8th ID sticker on my SUV) is when I flash my Virginia DMV-issued military veteran ID card in order to get the 10% off at Home Depot or Lowes. I usually get a "thank you for your service" and I always respond "It was my privilege & honor, but thank you very much."
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Blog Entries

I'm uncomfortable with the late thanks. When it started it was a novel "thanks". Now it seems a little trite, EXCEPT for the new kids nack from the middle east and the "-stans". It's timely and true.

How do you say thanks to "thanks"? I just reply to th thanker to rather remember those that couldn't come back. To me that's always timely; not a month goes buy that something triggers a memory of someone.

Blog Entries

In my reply, I've since added "Remember them by voting for those that will honor them".

Surprised looks; yes...mostly lib Dems.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    In my reply, I've since added "Remember them by voting for those that will honor them".

Surprised looks; yes...mostly lib Dems.
    Thank. that will be my comeback from now on.
    I have 3 Purple Hearts and have been "crippled" since then. I've dealt with the scammer v a for far too long. I got harassed out of my first job as a "baby killer". I took it OFF my resume (as a mechanical engineer draftsman etc) in 1972. I got out in Oct 69.
    When someone says "thanks for your service" I NEVER feel comfortable about it. If the person saying it is another vet with his ball cap on then that is okay and we chit chat for a while. If it is a total stranger, I run through my mind "is this for real or is this azzhat doing it on their own "guilt trip".? I don't wear any veteran garb or hats. I do have a bumper sticker that is the "electric strawberry ....25th Inf Div patch) on my vehicle. Also got the disabled vet plates because they are FREE for the first time in my life (here in the great state of TX)
    When I lived in MN, I had purple heart plates and a state trooper who was a fellow vet in the Vietnam Vets of America club told me to get rid of the plates and I'd quit getting pulled over all the time. This was around 1992 or so. I swapped them out and sure as he11 I quit getting pulled over. He told me most cops in MN figured you were a drunken bum that just came out of the legion and were an easy mark for a DWI.
    The thanks are too little and far to late in my opinion.
    Just leave me alone and don't screw with my "vets comp" that took me 48 years to get!!!!!!!! (and I didn't get it in MN either!!!)
    Glad I left that schiddthole back in 05. I have NO desire to ever go back there and they didn't even honor my Tricare health Ins for all the years I worked and lived there. Skrew them!
    As for all the vets here, WELCOME HOME and JOB well DONE! We did our task and the politicians secured DEFEAT from the jaws of VICTORY!!!