View Poll Results: Do you like it when people say "Thank you for your service"?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 64.52%
  • No

11 35.48%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Never having been in military service I have no opinion regarding Jeff's question, but the one of the ways myself and my family thank our vets is to drag our butts down to the local cenotaph on Remembrance Day. Those who I know who do this especially year after year are sincere I believe.

Seeing that Remembrance Day is not very far a way I would like to thank all you veterans for your service.

KTK

"Thank you for your service." makes me a little uncomfortable. I don't know how to respond other than to say "That was a long time ago." Seems silly to say in return:"Your welcome" and probably unnecessarily rude to say: "I was drafted".
    I am much more comfortable with: "Welcome home." but that seems inappropriate to say to those who served stateside. I still say that when I meet or find out someone was deployed and have never met anyone who didn't appreciate the sentiment.

Sometimes I ask what is their excuse for failing to man up and do their own time.
    It was an obligation til they ended the draft.
    If called, they could keep us 6 years, though usually it was 2 with some inactive reserve time pending.

"Welcome Home" as a slogan, began in 1982 at the 5 day celebration surrounding the dedication of The Wall in DC.
    That was when we got the big parade someguys claim they never got. Around 200,000 showed up.
    There also were huge parades in New York, Chicago, and other places in those days.
    Since we came home individually as opposed to groups, most welcomes were from family and friends.

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelp View Post
    Since we came home individually as opposed to groups, most welcomes were from family and friends.
    And not too many of them, in my experience. There was a cartoon in Playboy or maybe New Yorker toward the end of the unpleasantness. Fat old guy wearing a suit and his wife are at supper and the Suit says, "Wonderful news from Viet Nam! It's all over but the shooting." That said it all, from what I experienced.

I'm personally uncomfortable with the late expressions of appreciation but have learned to live with it and have even come to appreciate that somebody thought about it. But I'd just as soon be left the hell alone, to tell you the truth. Forty-odd years too late [fifty and more for some of us], is still, too late.

But I never pass a chance to thank the current crop for their service. They're all volunteers, none of them had to be there. God bless them all.
    Last edited by Andouille; 12-11-2015 at 05:22. Reason: Slight clarification
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

"But I never pass a chance to thank the current crop for their service. They're all volunteers, none of them had to be there. God bless them all."

I just hope we can all show them the respect their own government won't.

It is interesting to hear all of your responses on the subject. Especially those of you that would appreciate "being left alone." Personally I make it a point when I see someone with a ball cap indicating they served I always introduce myself by first name and say "thank you for your service to our Country." Most of the time they will ask if I served, when and where. Then the fellow will tell me when and where. I have talked to WW2 Vets, those that served in Korea, Nam and the Middle East and the first words were always "thank you!" Many of the WW2 and Korea Vets said I was the first to say thank you for your service etc. The all seemed to appreciate it.

John
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

7. Default

I always felt uncomfortable with "thank yous for my service" or taking free bees for being a combat veteran. I always tell them they should direct their thanks to the men and women and the families of the those who came home in an aluminum casket. I still remember when my father came home from Vietnam being called a "baby killer." I joined the US Army in 1975 and still also remember not being able to wear my uniform in public for several years. I deeply respect anyone who puts on the uniform. Service to one's country is an honor and privilege.

fjruple
    Last edited by fjruple; 12-18-2015 at 04:39.

8. Default

When thanked for my service I simply reply, "Thank you for your support."

Quote Originally Posted by Hap Rocketto View Post
    When thanked for my service I simply reply, "Thank you for your support."
    Probably the best reply I've heard. Says it all.

10. Default

I appreciate the sentiment. I personally don't advertise my veteran status. The Korean War ended on something of a sour note, an armistice and a ceasefire, no formal resolution. I did read a book on the 45th Infantry Division, said when they came back in late 1945 to New York people bought them drinks, etc. Those who didn't see action or stayed Stateside probably felt a little left out.