View Poll Results: Do you like it when people say "Thank you for your service"?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 64.52%
  • No

11 35.48%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Thank you for your service. Welcomed or not?

I take the time to thank veterans when I can. Do you welcome this or not? Most of the time it seems appreciated. TIA
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

It was not the thing to do when I returned in 1969, so yes, whenever I get it today, I do appreciate hearing the words.

I'm a very private person, to me it is an minor embarrassment. I don't normalcy even tell people about my military service.

Thank them for their service even buy their supper once in a while, same for our police, especially our state troopers.
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron James View Post
    I'm a very private person, to me it is an minor embarrassment. I don't normalcy even tell people about my military service.
    Then how do they know? If you wear a "hat" then you are telling the world!
    Last edited by dave; 11-06-2015 at 06:39.
    You can never go home again.

I think it's nice to be thanked. When I got back from my military service it was 1976 and people did not care. Most people seemed to think you were a sucker for having done it at all. The first time it happened to me I had a plain M1951 hat on with a tiny 1975 RVN year pin and I was at the 1999 A&M University service (daughter was a student there) for the kids killed in the bonfire collapse. It really surprised me; this was well before it had become customary.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 11-07-2015 at 07:25.

Personally I don't like it. In most cases I find it insincere, shallow, and insulting. Seems like the only folks doing the thanking are those that never served and the only reason they're saying so, is to feel good about themselves and it is the trendy thing to do. You never see vets thanking other vets for serving; they don't need to....a connection already exists between them. If people want to thank me for my service, then the best way they can do that is to drag their asses down to the nearest recruiter and sign an enlistment contract otherwise STFU and leave me alone.

On a personal level I agree with Oyaji, but looking the bigger picture it's not about ME. Notwithstanding the fact that for many of the "thankers" it's just a self-serving feel-good gesture, I believe we have a responsibility to support anything that promotes a positive social image for our current military personnel. So I try to be gracious and go along. Besides, I suspect there are some of them who actually mean it.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Personally I don't like it. In most cases I find it insincere, shallow, and insulting. Seems like the only folks doing the thanking are those that never served and the only reason they're saying so, is to feel good about themselves and it is the trendy thing to do. You never see vets thanking other vets for serving; they don't need to....a connection already exists between them. If people want to thank me for my service, then the best way they can do that is to drag their asses down to the nearest recruiter and sign an enlistment contract otherwise STFU and leave me alone.
    I have Nam vets thanking me all the time!
    You can never go home again.

Almost all the vets on this forum are of the era such that they kinda had to go… either were drafted or volunteered to avoid the draft or thought they WOULD be drafted, wanted to choose their service, go for officer or whatever. So we were mostly without a choice in the matter. For the guys and gals today, it's completely voluntary. In WW2 it was universal, everybody went. Nobody talked about it when it was over. We in the cold war/Vietnam War era have feet in both worlds so its kind of natural that everybody has his own opinion.