Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: deadin's brass rod accessory.

The more I look at the picture, the more I think Form is the Clue to Function. I don't think the brass knob on the Krag rod-section was a 'handle'. I think it was used as the 'Head' on an improvised loading-rod. Maybe for a muzzle-loading rifle or shotgun (Range-Rod). IMHO.

KragRod.jpgKragRod-knob.jpg

I sincerely disagree.

It makes perfect sense for use with a Krag, in that it (1) answers the length issue, and (2) would provide an immeasurably better grip for working a patch back and forth than just gripping a set of threads.

Now, what we do not know, devoid of context, is whether the owner/maker even had a Krag - he could have bought the rods as cheap "army surplus".

We'll NEVER know, but I tend toward the simpler solution, rather than thinking of all the other things that it could be if inverted, which would mean another clumsy grip, ill-suited to ramming.

Just my .02, YMMV (beginning to sound like my friend 5MF, whose book I appreciate more as time goes by)

I swear I've seen the exact same type of brass knob on a Krag cleaning rod section before years ago. I'm pretty sure it was at a gunshow.

FWIW: I was just trying to think 'outside the box'. Like many once common and utilitarian surplus items, the Krag Rod could have been 're-purposed' - (Like, maybe a cleaning rod for a .45-70). I realize, we can't know for sure. However, if I wanted a 'handle' on my cleaning rod, I think I would make it a different shape, (unless there was a space requirement).
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 11-05-2015 at 02:17.