Thread: type 30 bayonet

Default type 30 bayonet

Can anyone tell me if the type 30 bayonet guard and pummel finish was originally blued or painted black? Or something else?

The guard or hilt were blued. The pommel end was also blued. BUT if it was a last ditch it could be painted. Which maker do you have and the serial number at the end of the pommel?
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

The bayonet I have is a Nagoya Arsenal, Hooked quillon or guard, "birds head", 16" blade with fullers or "blood grooves", with the serial# 5950 on the pummel. There's a small Japanese symbol on the pummel also but I can't make it out.
    I don't think its "last ditch" because it has a "birds head" pummel and a curved guard. The later war and "last ditch" had straight guards and no fullers I think. Isn't that right? I think this is a pre-war or early war one. Therefore, as you say 1Mark, the pummel and guard should be blued. Thanks for that info!
    Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of my comments above.
    Dave

There are two variations of the hooked pommel bayo older had nice rounded wood grips, similar to the Brit 1907 which was copied from the jap model. And later the grips, pommel were squared/flat on the sides.
    You can never go home again.

Thanks Dave, that's good info.

I meant "hooked quillion" not pommel. There are many, many variations of jap bayos, the cruder the later in war they were made!
    You can never go home again.

7. Default

The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson