Blog Entries

Default Can a M1905 bright blade be restored from Greek park?

I have one from the CMP that is a 1909 RIA cut down with a beak point. Is there a way to make it shiny as built? I know the shortened bayonets were all parked.

On edit: Whoops, M1905E1
    Last edited by PhillipM; 10-30-2015 at 11:18.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

2. Default

Phillip,
    I must respond, if only to understand the question. You have a 1909 dated Model of 1905 bayonet that was cut down to a beak point, parkerized, sent to Greece, likely reparked there, then sent to CMP, where you eventually bought it. Now you want to restore it to a bright finish. Ok, your bayonet was originally bright when it was first manufactured in 1909, but by 1918, 1905 bayonets (even old ones) were parkerized during and after WWI. If your bayonet escaped parkeriziing, it still was later subjected to the cut down process starting about April 1943 at which time it could not have escaped being parkerized. Restoring your bayonet means to me, making it look like a cut down 1909 from 1943-44. If you want a "parade" bayonet, like the ones used by Color Guards, then you might like to have it nickeled or chromed. If you want to make it look like an original 1909 dated Model of 1905, then you would have to weld another six inches to the blade since it originally had a 16 inch blade. That being the case, it would be better to simply find the bayonet you want. Hope this helps.
    Marv
    Marv