Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nylon 66

I , too , had one as a kid . Mohawk brown with detachable mags . Thought it needed cleaning so I tore it down . Easy . Cleaned and oiled and tried to assemble . Not so easy . Lots of parts and springs that had to be held just so for the pins to hold them in place . I took a box of paperclips and bent them into the holders I needed . Trial and error , but I got it together . My friends had several of them , too . I tore them all down and cleaned them . Wasn't so hard with my assortment of " tools " .
    Thanks for the memories , Chris

"detachable mags"

Actually then yours was a model 77 which took a 5 round detachable magazine. The 66 took a tubular 14 round magazine. Otherwise--the same great gun.

Could be. I recall them being 10 round mags though . Memory could be faulty .
    Never was a fan of tubular magazines. Always found it hard to hold the rifle in one hand , the tube in the other , and spit the rounds into that small hole .
    Chris

Blog Entries

My cousin has a Black Diamond and I don't think it's ever been apart. When he was a kid and lived on my grandmother's place he, nor anyone there, had much money so he'd go up a tree with spurs and the Nylon 66 and just hose down deer at close range.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by emmagee1917 View Post
    Could be. I recall them being 10 round mags though . Memory could be faulty .
    Not so much. Remington did make 10-round mags for the 77, I had some. But the 77 was a jam-o-matic despite several different magazine and ammo changes and a good cleaning, so it lives someplace else now.

However I took my Nylon 66 to Alaska in 1973 and it worked "as advertised" in cold well below zero. I should have kept it. Been thinking it's time for another one.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

Shooter5 Guest

Whittakers in Kentucky currently has several brown and green 77s.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post
    Whittakers in Kentucky currently has several brown and green 77s.
    I don't think I've ever seen a green one in person.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a green one in person.
    I've only seen pictures of them myself. They are called Seneca Green and are mostly brown. Look almost identical to the Mohawk Brown. We may have actually seen one and not realized it. They and the Black Diamond's bring more money from the collectors.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=521648950

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=524251661
    Last edited by Allen; 11-20-2015 at 08:00.