Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nylon 66

Default Nylon 66

Was at a smiths place and he has a Nylon 66 that some dufus had cut the front part of the stock off (hack sawed). It was in parts but it looked like it might be all there. He bought it off a guy that intended to restore it. Just parts now but the smith can use the parts if needed. Real shame those are good shooting rifles as my 76 is super accurate.

Used stocks can be bought on ebay. They are a little pricey though at about $100 or so.

3. Default

I still have my Mohawk Brown Nylon 66 I got in 1965, my first gun. Still shoot it every time we go out to kill tin cans. They sold for $49.99 back then and it took a lot of lawn mowing to get the money needed. I only have had buyer's joy, never remorse, and glad for the firearms journey that rifle kicked off for me. I see them at gun shows now for $300 or more.

I have two of them. Remington screwed up big time when they quit making them. One was bought new @ wholesale from a hardware distributer for $35 in the mid 60's. It was made w/o a serial number. Still have the original box and the round decal they used to put on the stock. The second one I bought off of ebay by purchasing the parts. Since they are unique some people consider the stock as the receiver since that is where all the parts are assembled, others consider the receiver cover as the receiver. By buying from more than one seller I was able to obtain all the parts and make the 2nd rifle. The sales brochures from the 60's mentioned that a single Nylon 66 was used to shoot 100,000 4"x4" wooden blocks thrown into the air w/o a single jam. Great guns.

Here is a history on the 66 and relatives. Also is the mention of the 100,000 wooden blocks if you are interested.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_nylon_rifles.htm
    Last edited by Allen; 10-30-2015 at 09:04.

Shooter5 Guest

They are great! Dad still has his green one from the 60's and cousin has granpa's. Took my little boy out for his first time shooting and we used papa's rifle to pop balloons. It was great fun all around. I've been looking for one but they sure are expensive now!

I have a 66 and a lever action 76 with a scope. It is quite accurate.

7. Default

My dad bought me a Nylon 66 back in the late 60's and its had no telling how many thousand
    rounds through it, never oiled it other than to oil/clean the exterior metal surfaces and it has
    never failed to fire and never jammed.

I'm getting old, remember remington adds on the 66 shooting all those blocks, very very good times back then.

I still have my mohawk brown '66 from the '60's also. Had an issue soon after I bought it. My best buddy's brother-in-law was a marine on leave and disassembled it and fixed it without any directions! . His BIL returned to Vietnam and a month later was KIA. Great little 22...but too complex for me to take apart!

10. Default

I didn't think they're too bad to take apart. The only problem I've had is there's a roll pin that goes through the bolt, side to side. The pin will loosen up and start to migrate to one side until it starts to rub on the receiver cover. The rifle acts like the bolt needs lube. The fix was to take the roll pin out and expand it to make it fit tight in the bolt. The only other problem I've had is the front sight screws loosen up and a little blue Loctite fixed that. Not a bad repair history for a fifty year old rifle that's had a gazillion rounds through it.