Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default WTK: Correct stock for a 8-41 garand?

Serial #353,6XX. Please take a look at the pictures and give me your opinions as to which stock would be most "correct" for this rifle. Lots of pictures.

Last edited by SPEEDGUNNER; 10-28-2015 at 06:30.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

2. Default

Last edited by SPEEDGUNNER; 10-28-2015 at 05:33.

Default Nice to have a choice.

Pretty nice to have a choice on such a tough stock nowadays.

Ideally I would think a long channel is better that early but I am sure there is someone with a better feel for the changeover from long to short than me. One looks to have a nice strong cartouche and the other looks like it has a rebuild stamp - the rebuild marks put that one second for me. And everyone wants to see a nice cartouche.

Ultimately, I would ask; which one looks the best on the rifle?
    Far enough right to just be, ... right.

I'm not a Garand Stock expert by any means. But doesn't the one with the fatter heel look like an HRA?
    --------------------------------
    Certified Internet Warrior Status: Achieved.

I have two original Lend-Lease rifles with the SA/GHS stocks, that are just a couple of months or so later than yours and both have the long channel stocks.

One is 378000 and the other 391000.

6. Default

Both stocks pictured are early and real stocks. The long channel with the RIA/EB rebuild stamp is most likely an early GHS, with the proof being sanded off during rebuild. You can also see 2 "P" proofs on the wrist. The short channel SA/GHS has 1 "P" proof and exhibits all the characteristics of a correct early short channel. Both stocks look good on the rifle, with both being a fairly decent match to the handguards. The rifle itself is a non lend-lease, 8-41 barrel date, chamber in the white, with all the correct parts and it seems a shame to have it in a stock with a rebuild stamp on it. At the same time, I don't want the rifle residing in a stock that would actually be correct for a later rifle.
    Last edited by SPEEDGUNNER; 10-30-2015 at 04:00.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
    Both stocks pictured are early and real stocks. The long channel with the RIA/EB rebuild stamp is most likely an early GHS, with the proof being sanded off during rebuild. You can also see 2 "P" proofs on the wrist. The short channel SA/GHS has 1 "P" proof and exhibits all the characteristics of a correct early short channel. Both stocks look good on the rifle, with both being a fairly decent match to the handguards. The rifle itself is a non lend-lease, 8-41, chamber in the white, with all the correct parts and it seems a shame to have it in a stock with a rebuild stamp on it. At the same time, I don't want the rifle residing in a stock that would actually be correct for a later rifle.
    A 353,6xx serial number is Oct. 1941 not Aug. Art Tuttle recommended in a "Assembly Defect Report" dated 11/21/41 that the channel be shortened to 1 1/2 ". The use of the short channel stock would have began shortly after this date. A rifle with a Oct. 1941 serial number may well have been assembled after mid Nov. 1941. Rifles in that period could be found with either long or short channel depending on assembly date. I see no problem using that short channel stock. I do agree that I would not want that rifle in a stock with rebuild markings
    Last edited by 2111; 10-29-2015 at 06:43.

The report from Art Tuttle was a suggestion on fixing the problem, and it would be highly doubtful that this change could have been approved by Ordnance and implemented before the OP's rifle was manufactured.

How do you know when a receiver with an Oct. 1941 Serial number was assembled ? One to three months is quite possible which would mean the final assembly of the op's rifle could have taken place as late as Jan. 1942. As I said, it works for me, maybe not for you. Bob Seijas stated the following regarding the long channel stock, "since it affected accuracy and acceptance testing, we guessed that JCG agreed quickly and probably issued a AVO (verbal change order)". If "Ordnance approval" was really required before a change such as this was implemented I would guess John C. Garand could cut through any red tape in short order.

10. Default

How do you know when the recommended change was adopted, and how do you know the change was hurried up? Also, I have two original rifles slightly later than the OP's with the long channel stocks. Of course in the rush to get rifles out my later serial numbers could have been assembled before the OP's rifle.