Default Trap gun question

I realize this might not be the most obvious place to post a question about trap guns, but this is where the folks are whose opinions I respect so I thought I'd try it.

My question is this: Are there real, verifiable differences between high end (expensive) and run of the mill (inexpensive) break-action trap guns? Is that $15,000 Snobsworthy Groliosa MK VII actually any more accurate, reliable, or long-lasting than a well made break-action selling for 1/10th the price . . . and if so, why. Likely the $15K gun will be "prettier" - fancy wood, checkering, engraving, etc. - but assuming the same shooter, same ammunition, and same levels of care and maintenance, what are the real, tangible, documented benefits to these high end guns?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

leftyo Guest

there are some really low end guns that will not physically last shooting the amount of rounds an average trap shooter is likely to put through them. low end guns meaning the sub $1000 new models. once you weed out the junk, then it becomes like comparing a corvette to a ferrarri, both do pretty much the same thing, but one is more refined. beyond basic quality, the most important thing for a trap gun is how well it fits you. a $15,000perrazzi that doesnt fit the shooter is a whole bunch worse than a $200 sears special that fits.

A run of the mill, break-action, trap gun can be a Perazzi that starts at about 10 grand. Difference is that those usually get custom fitted to the shooter. Ya'll get what you pay for.
    Spelling and grammar count!

In the low-end, purpose-built, REAL trap guns, the BIGGEST advantage is in the butt-stock!
    "Purpose-built" trap guns have a higher comb than "field", "skeet", or "sporting clays" guns . . . thereby giving the shooter a "built-in" rise, or vertical lead, relevant to the target . . . (remember, trap targets are always RISING).
    One doesn't need a high-end trap gun to succeed . . .my old Remington 870 TB does just fine!! --Jim

leftyo Guest

yup a 870TB is a perfectly useable gun, as are BT99's , various citori trap models, and they can usually all be had for a reasonable price used, and even not to unreasonable new.

I shot a pair of Browning Broadways for years, and occasionally borrowed and used an Ithaca 4E too back in the day... regret selling them now as the grandkids are old enough to shoot trap now,...... back then all 3 were mid range guns that handled & fit me very well.. I've got a good friend that shot a Perazzi MX8 for many years & Al was very happy with it... and it is not the top of the line Perazzi by any means.... As said, a well fitting stock is the key to shooting well... I had one Browning to shoot in summer when I just wore a T shirt &vest & another that I used when it was colder & I wore a coat.....

Browning has come out with a new low/mid range trap gun that I understand is dam near impossible to wear out... the trigger is nicer . It all depends on what you like........

My quail/pheasant gun is/was an Ithaca model 37 20ga... the first time I used it, I got 7 birds with 8 shots.. & it quickly replaced my Rem 1100 & 870 12 gauge field guns... It was lighter, swung faster & was just a joy to use... by the way I bought it used for $75.00 in 1985, a field grade plain barreled gun... that became my favorite using shotgun... and I own several high end European sidelock SXS doubles & did own several better grade European made O/U's... that lil Ithaca replaced them all bird hunting...I even killed every turkey with it I ever killed...my quail load of 7/8oz of 7 1/2 shot in the head worked perfectly every time through it for 1 shot kills. So what I'm trying to say is this...get a shotgun whose stock fits you... even if you put on an adjustable trap butt plate to get it to fit for length & etc.... they aren't that expensive to have a good smith to install... & you'll do well.. then it's up to you to practice, practice, practice to get better........Brownells of Iowa sells them....... look them up.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter