Thread: I have a---

Default I have a---

1906 dated RIA long bayonet for the 1903 rifle. (1905 model?) It has no serial number and I have been told it is a "field trial" bayonet and worth a premium. It is in excellent condition with the leather covered scabbard dated 1906 RIA, so a matched set. However the hanger is broken off. I recently picked up a Krag scabbard with a good hanger and comparable condition for 30 bucks.
    Does anyone know who may have the skill and tools to remove and attach these hangers? I need to know your personal knowledge or contact info, not hear-say. Thank you for info!
    Last edited by dave; 10-24-2015 at 02:09.
    You can never go home again.

Cant help with scabbard. Per C.S. Farris book pg 138 from your description you have a RIA made in fiscal year 1907 (julu1 1906 to july 1 1907) the year date was by calender year.so to confirm if 1906 dated it was made between 7/1/06 to 12/31/15. As said it should have no serial number. There should be periods behind the R I A.It should have the ordinance escutcheon and 4 simple flames and no arcuate mark. If yours is a trials and marked differently it would be great if you could post some pics. Thanks

3. Default

Hello,
    From your brief description of your bayonet, there is nothing to indicate that it is a field trial bayonet. The correct name of your bayonet is the Model of 1905. Rock Island Arsenal (RIA) did not put serial numbers on their bayonets until 1907. As for the scabbard, if you have a 1905 leather scabbard, which had the hanger, there is not much you can do to save it. You would have to find a hanger on the loose which is nearly impossible. The only Krag hanger that would work and look correct, is the late 1905 Krag scabbard. Unlike the common Krag scabbards which have the wire retainer where the parallel area is about a half inch apart. The 1905 Krag scabbard has a narrow wire retainer which is about 1/4 inch apart just like your scabbard had at one time. These are not easy to find either, but would work for your scabbard. The best information can be had at http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_42.htm After you read that, if you want more info about 1905 bayonets, and in fact all the 20th century American bayonets, scroll down and click "back to Bayonet Points Index". Hope this helps.
    Marv

I will post a picture or two when I can take them (its dark and rainy now). Was away for awhile and for got my post, why I am so late in answer.
    p246---your dates given are very confusing!

5. Default

Hello again. I had a thought about how you could save your scabbard. If you go back to the link I gave in my last post, you will be able to see the evolution of the 1905 scabbard: how it was modified. The long hanger was removed and replaced by a piece of leather which covered the place where the old hanger was attached and used a 1910 double hook. A skilled leather man should be able to make that modification for you, and the belt hook should be easy to find since it was virtually unchanged for decades. The color should be close to the original as possible, but I have seen modified scabbards that actually have near black leather around the scabbard, so a "close enough" color is OK. The best part is that the modified style is still correct for your bayonet. Plus I have seen modifications that have no dates or proof marks at all, so that problem is eliminated. Hope this helps you on your way.
    Marv

Thanks, that is something to think about!