Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEE Precision

Default LEE Precision

Say what you will about using LEE dies and loading equipment... their customer service is the kind of service that EVERY company should have!

Recently, I had a stuck case in my 30-06 Pacesetter sizing die. In trying to get the case out, I destroyed the central decapper/sizing mandrel. I didn't really want to purchase a new set of dies because I only needed the sizing die, and I figured replacing the mandrel was the cheapest way to go. So, on Monday I called LEE to find out how to order a new mandrel. I explained how my mandrel was destroyed, and within three minutes of my calling, I had a new mandrel shipping at no cost to me... and with no questions asked!!! I have heard before that LEE's customer service was top notch, but this I did not expect.

As far as I'm concerned, LEE has a customer for life now - I'll never buy any other brand from here on out!!!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I think most of us who reload end up with an assortment of items from numerous manufacturers. One company making the best scales, another making the best case trimmer, press, dies and etc... Personal opinions and preference have a lot to do with it as well. I have used Lee and RCBS items since forever and like what I buy. You certainly can't beat Lee's prices and I didn't know their customer service was so good---I've never had to make a claim. Thanks for sharing.

I have used Lee products for years. They are equal in quality to higher priced products.

I just can't get by the crappy collet arrangement that Lee uses to hold the decapping rod in their sizing dies. I have to tighten them up to the point of pulling the threads, to stop the rod from pulling out of the die on the downward stroke. (To answer the anticipated question, yes I clean and lube the inside of the case necks for every case I reload). All the other brands use threaded rods that can't slip. I'll stick with Redding, Lyman and RCBS in that order. Any problems I have had with all 4 companies have been resolved to my satisfaction with a phone call. They all have good customer service in my experience. Yes, Lee equipment is lots cheaper to buy but as far as I can see you get what you pay for.

If you read Lee's warrantee you'll find it limited in how long it's good. Doesn't cover used kit either. RCBS' is forever and it's on the kit, not who bought it new. Of course, you pay more for that. Nothing wrong with Lee kit though. Even if it is entry level kit.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I have a assortment of reloading equipment; Lee, Dillon. Redding, Hornady, RCBS, Ransom and some unmarked by manufacture (strange). Customer service has been acceptable from each of them

It seems RCBS's published warranty policy has changed from the one many of us knew and loved. This is copied from their website today -

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Reloading Press, Die, Manual Case Trimmer or Bullet Mould

Your reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould is warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original owner owns it. This warranty is extended only to the original consumer purchaser. This warranty excludes any electrical components or products. All RCBS products are intended for non-commercial use by hobbyists. Any other use of these products will void the warranty. Should you believe that your reloading press, die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould is defective in material or workmanship, you must return the reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould to Ammunition Accessories Inc. through its Oroville operation (hereinafter "Oroville Operations") postage paid for evaluation. If defective, the product will be repaired or replaced at Oroville Operations' option, at no charge.

Send a dated proof of purchase to Oroville Operations along with the product information and reason for return to:

Ammunition Accessories Inc., Oroville Operations
    605 Oro Dam Blvd
    Oroville, California 95965

Warranty services cannot be provided without meeting the above requirements.

I couldn't say whether my die was covered by this or that warranty... but the die is over 30 years old, and I was never asked when I purchased it... or even HOW I acquired it. I told the guy about the stuck case and how the mandrel was damaged trying to pull (or rather drive) the case out, and before I could ask if I could purchase a new one, the guy said "I'll get a new part in the mail today - Give me your shipping info!" It was that simple. By the way, this was the first stuck case I have ever had too!

FWIW, I have LEE, RCBS, and Hornady dies... as well as various other loading equipment. My press is an old (35+ years) LEE Challanger that works like the day I got it, and suits me just fine for now. What I am saying is that I'm very impressed with how LEE handled this for me. I've had issues with other manufacturers (not limited to loading equipment) where customer service is like pulling teeth! I have no use for companies like that, whether it be for a car, a computer, or a loaf of bread... From now on, unless I can not get it from LEE, I will be purchasing all of my future loading dies from LEE. Treat me right, and I'll reply in kind!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

9. Default

I've got a Dillon 550 I bought used. Dillon has replaced a bunch of parts and they know I'm not the original owner. Lyman has also been very good to me.

Dillon & RCBS have 100% warranties... Most if not everyone of the people I know that have had problems with Lee , are told to pay for replacement parts even if it is defective & was purchased the day before... I'll never buy another Lee product...sorry about that...I understand that Hornady has a good warranty too
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter