1. Default BSACo. Model 1899 Lee-Enfield MKI* rifle

Here for your viewing pleasure is BSACo. Lee-Enfield MKI* Model 1899 rifle made in 1901 serial number A55655 which was issued to PVT Van Buren Arnold who enlisted in the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles, South African Forces at Calgary on April 24 1902. he proceeded to South Africa, was returned to Canada, and struck off strength in consequence of "Disbandment of the Forces." He retained the rifle after leaving service. The rifle came with the oil bottle.

Last edited by varifleman; 10-18-2015 at 10:55. Reason: revise info

2. Default

Here are details from PVT Arnold's service records:

Good year for a rifle but a bad year for Queen Victoria
    Last edited by John Sukey; 10-17-2015 at 10:05.

Nothing to say when he bought/was gifted/or possibly stole this particular rifle? How did you come about the story?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

5. Default

PVT Arnold was the great-grandfather of the gentleman from whom I bought the rifle. Oddly enough (although the story as written is a bit confusing)...the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles arrived in S. Africa after the end of hostilities, and when they embarked for home, the Brits asked for their stuff back if the Canucks didn't plan on using it any more. The Canadian government's reply ran along the lines that they desired that the troops that wanted to retain their rifles as souvenirs be allowed to do so, as they didn't need them (presumably because the Ross contracts had been signed). So while the arms and equipment of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles were generally returned to Imperial Ordnance stores...it would appear that some Canadian troops were indeed allowed to keep their LE rifles (ref: Edgecombe's "Defending The Dominion"). (Courtesy of jrhead75/Gunboards). Arnold was born in the US in the mid-1880s (1883 or so) and evidently migrated to Canada by the early 1900s, was listed in Canada in 1916 and reentered the US in 1919. He eventually settled in Missouri and the documentation confirming his service was sent to the American Legion in Browning Missouri so the family history and available documentation clearly proves the provenance of this rifle.

Last edited by varifleman; 10-18-2015 at 10:14. Reason: add documents

Nice rifle. Was it accompanied by its military release papers? I would expect documentation to accompany a rifle handed to a disbanded soldier.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by terrylee View Post
    Nice rifle. Was it accompanied by its military release papers? I would expect documentation to accompany a rifle handed to a disbanded soldier.
    What you see is what I have so far (after all this was over 100 yrs ago and such documents do get lost) but maybe the military release papers will be included when I apply for Arnold's military service records from the Canadian Archives.

Quote Originally Posted by varifleman View Post
    What you see is what I have so far (after all this was over 100 yrs ago and such documents do get lost) but maybe the military release papers will be included when I apply for Arnold's military service records from the Canadian Archives.
    I sure hope so. You'd be doing the collecting community a great service if those papers can be located. So much for the old adage of "The British NEVER let anyone walk off with the Kings property". It would also reinforce, "Never say never when it comes to Enfields!"
    There have been plenty of stories about someone inheriting Grandpa's "old rifle he carried..." when in fact grandpa bought a rifle "just like the one he carried". I'd like very much to see this one substantiated with more than a very plausible story.
    Best of luck on your endeavor. Sincerely.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    I sure hope so. You'd be doing the collecting community a great service if those papers can be located. So much for the old adage of "The British NEVER let anyone walk off with the Kings property". It would also reinforce, "Never say never when it comes to Enfields!"
    There have been plenty of stories about someone inheriting Grandpa's "old rifle he carried..." when in fact grandpa bought a rifle "just like the one he carried". I'd like very much to see this one substantiated with more than a very plausible story.
    Best of luck on your endeavor. Sincerely.
    Well so far we have the fact that Van Buren Arnold (the seller's great-Grandfather) enlisted in and was discharged as a PVT in the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles and this rifle is marked as that unit. Arnold in 1919 returned to the USA and eventually settled in Missouri where his paperwork was sent to the American legion there so looks like a rather solid case so far just looking over the available paperwork which makes it much more that just a plausible story. Maybe if I found a photo of him in uniform holding this rifle would be the best proof absent actually locating the military release papers for this rifle. I think all this passes the "reasonable man" test quite nicely. So until you can come up with anything to back your opinion it remains just that; your opinion backed by nothing; no documents, facts etc to support it.
    Last edited by varifleman; 10-23-2015 at 01:03.

Varifleman, I've already said that your find is a very fine rifle -one would be an asset in any collection. However, in the light of interesting experiences during more than forty years of collecting British and colonial rifles, I have to support Mr White's viewpoint.

In the absence of documentation forming a direct link between the rifle in question and Private Van Buren, that connection has to remain a very interesting possibility, but one which under the circumstances requires verification. For a start, there were well over 400 men in the 6th Regiment, Canadian Mounted Rifles. Also, disbanded soldiers being permitted to retain their rifles is most unusual.

Established collecting is not just a matter of hoarding and shooting. A most rewarding challenge concerns the associated research which should always be fully completed prior to arriving at conclusions. For this you have been presented an interesting opportunity. Success would make the difference between what could be a most remarkable acquisition and what must otherwise remain the source of an unproven theory subject to question.

Perhaps, if you have not already done so, you could start off by very carefully examining the rifle, and any accessories which may have accompanied it, for clues inconsistent with release in 1902 such as refurbishment dates. Rifle markings can be most informative and have either supported or demolished several of my pet theories.

Good luck in your venture! As stated by Mr White, success would be an inspiration for others with similar interests to our own. Please keep us informed.