Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have a duffle cut T99.

In 55 years accumulating this stuff I have run into the bucket story many times, but only involving Jap rifles.

I have seen pics of piles of Mausers without bolts and in the 60s, a couple of the big importers were selling "boltless" mausers.

Never saw any quantities of bolts.

A mm bolt is a big minus no matter what the story.

As to your last statement: It depends, many imports of the last few years have m/m bolts, and they are very hard to find otherwise. Many bring backs have m/m bolts but they usually match themselves. If it has no import stamp it is a huge plus. Bringback, that is a big plus. And in a front line repair shop many m/m parts were used to get a rifle back on the line. So your collection will be very limited without some m/m bolts, etc.
    Like M1's, most if not all had/have mixed parts or if not they were "corrected" by collectors and then called 'original'. 'As original' would be correct.
    Many soldiers were told to throw the bolts away when surrendering so all those missing bolts may be laying (under ground by now) in some field.
    You can never go home again.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelp View Post
    I have a duffle cut T99.
    In my opinion, I would repair the duffle cut. The reason I found mine was that the stock started moving when I shot it. Took me a few shots before I figured out what was happening. My repair worked very well and is permanent. I shoot this occasionally in CMP vintage matches, and my son shot it in the National Matches. I've attached a couple pictures of the repair:

100_5438.jpg
    Duffle Cut Repair 006.jpg
    Duffle Cut Repair 015.jpg
    Duffle Cut Repair 022.jpg
    Duffle Cut Repair 033.jpg
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Looks real nice Paul. Good job.

Thanks very much! I posted the pictures cause I couldn't find the old thread... (I think it actually got deleted when they re-vamped the forum).

The bottom line is, although somewhat archaic to shoot, the T-99 (as well as the other Jap weapons) is a rather fun rifle. Put down the AA wings and rest it on the monopod, and other shooters at the range will ALWAYS come by and ask about it... especially if you have the action cover in place!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo