1. Default Early 1911 questions

A little knowledgeable help would be much appreciated.

I've just acquired an early (#24883) 1911 in excellent ..90 per cent or better….original (I hope) condition. I am a serious pre- to WW I 1903 collector but a 1911 novice, and bought this lovely pistol, complete with 1913 dated 1912 holster, and original Mills 1917 dated double magazine pouch, because of it's provenance; the original owner, an Engineer Corps major on Pershing's staff in 1918 France, is a very well documented gentleman. I bought the gear from his grandson.
    I've read the pertinent sections of Edward Meadows' excellent book on 1911s of this vintage and the gun appears completely correct in all respects with two exceptions:
    (1) The rear sight is the "type 2", without the rounded edges. Meadows relates that the 1913 rear sight change occurred at about SN 60,000 "based on observed specimens", but that "Pistols with either round or flat top sights will be found into the 60,000 serial number range" A bit vague. Can #24883 be correct with the type two rear sight?
    (2) The slide is not serial numbered under the firing pin retainer plate. I've read in a source I cannot recall that 1911s of this period should bear the last four numbers of the receiver SN under the plate. Is that correct?

All imput gratefully accepted. Regards, Dokcop@gmail.com.

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

It would be correct with rounded rear site. It would not have any serial number or part of a serial number under the firing pin stop.

Can you show us some close up detailed pictures. Make sure that the slide is not off of a later 1911 with the flat top rear site.
    Last edited by Duane Hansen; 10-14-2015 at 06:16.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply. No expert on 1911s, but the slide and frame match perfectly; both exhibit identical "fine finish", milling/abrasive polish marks on slide and frame consistent; wear at slide/frame junction match, etc.. The patent date on slide ends in 1911. I'd be astonished if the slide was a replacement. Is there any objective way (sub inspector's marks, etc.,) to identify a later slide?

Wish I could post pictures but have had no prior success doing it.

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Since it has the 1911 date as the final date on the slide it satisfies my curiousity and leads me to believe it probably is the correct slide that someone just changed out the rear site. The rounded sites were not real popular and it doesn't surprise me to see that it was changed.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Hansen View Post
    Since it has the 1911 date as the final date on the slide it satisfies my curiousity and leads me to believe it probably is the correct slide that someone just changed out the rear site. The rounded sites were not real popular and it doesn't surprise me to see that it was changed.
    Thanks again. That seems likely. I imagine the odds of finding a minty early rounded rear sight are pretty slim. Any suggestions as to a source. Regards, R Rubrecht

I've found them on e bay. You can also ask the dealers who list early 1911 parts there if they have one and haven't listed it. They are out there.