Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New K-38

1. Default New K-38

A few months ago I acquired a K-22 revolver in order to satisfy an interest in 5-screw S&W revolvers.

That may have been a mistake! Now I'm obsessed with getting more 5-screw S&W's. Today I glommed a K-38 at an on-line auction. It looks like it is in pretty good condition and came with a box. The auction pics can tell the tale...

Last edited by Calfed; 10-11-2015 at 06:21.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Now you can put out your feelers for a K-22 and a K-32. Get your checkbook warmed up. Regards, Clark

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Howard View Post
    Now you can put out your feelers for a K-22 and a K-32. Get your checkbook warmed up. Regards, Clark
    Thanks, Clark. I found a K-22 in decent shape a few months ago, so I guess that just leaves the K-32. I may need more than my checkbook for that one...a good deal of luck may be required.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    Thanks, Clark. I found a K-22 in decent shape a few months ago, so I guess that just leaves the K-32. I may need more than my checkbook for that one...a good deal of luck may be required.
    Amen to that, you will pay dearly for a nice K-32 (model 16), especially a 5 screw model. You have very nice examples of the K-22 and K-38 though.

Just found this on Auction Arms. This is a good seller. I have bought from him and he has sold for me. His name is Mark not Jack.
    http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13621045
    Last edited by Allen; 10-12-2015 at 09:01.

Man, that is nice!! I'm looking for a model 28 for to fill a space in my collection collection. There are a few out there but a bit pricey.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Amen to that, you will pay dearly for a nice K-32 (model 16), especially a 5 screw model. You have very nice examples of the K-22 and K-38 though.

Just found this on Auction Arms. This is a good seller. I have bought from him and he has sold for me. His name is Mark not Jack.
    http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13621045

Thanks, Allen

That is a really nice pre-model 16. It would not surprise me if it went for double the current price, though.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    Man, that is nice!! I'm looking for a model 28 for to fill a space in my collection collection. There are a few out there but a bit pricey.
    I would love to find a 3 1/2" pre-27. There is just something about that barrel length on the N frame.

I've got two 5" model 27's unfired in the presentation cases...but would love a 3 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    I would love to find a 3 1/2" pre-27. There is just something about that barrel length on the N frame.

I've got two 5" model 27's unfired in the presentation cases...but would love a 3 1/2".
    Just like carbines, 1911's and so forth----you're hooked. You'll also be wanting a model 53 Jet and a 5 screw 44 mag. There's no end to it. You might as well get a mortgage on the house and get it over with.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Just like carbines, 1911's and so forth----you're hooked. You'll also be wanting a model 53 Jet and a 5 screw 44 mag. There's no end to it. You might as well get a mortgage on the house and get it over with.
    You, sir, are absolutely right!

I spoke with the guy at the shipping company and he reassured me that he understands the value of the box and would pack it and the revolver with special care. Coincidentally, he is the guy who packed the K-22 that I got several months ago (even though it came from different auction house) and he did a fine job on the K-22.
    Last edited by Calfed; 10-13-2015 at 10:29.

10. Default

The K-38 arrived at my FFL today and started the 10-day "cooling off " period. I gave it a good look-see and it is in great shape. There is very little wear on the bluing, no scratches on the metal, a few scratches on the grips. It almost looks like it was left in the box and fired very little.

The box is also in good shape and has the correct serial number written in grease pencil on the bottom. There is no paper label on the box ends, but one in the inside of the box top. The brown grease paper is still present, although a little tattered.

As I said, I'm betting this revolver spent most of its life in the box, wrapped up in the grease paper in the bedroom closet. I'll post pics when the "cooling off' period has ended.