Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "C" stock with a "P" in a square box.........curious.....

Found a C stock on the cheap that has a proof "P" in a cocked-square box. no other markings, looks like it may have been sanded...It seems to have the cuts for the A3 handguard ring. sorry no pic's, as I am a Technosaurus. Thanx in advance.

A proof "P" in a square box is the overhaul proof mark of the San Antonio Arsenal or, if real late, the Red River Arsenal.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

thank you...an SAA rebuild..I served w/ the regular staff of the USMC Reserves in San Antonio....A year or so after they moved the unit out of the old SAA....Like Maxwell Smart.."Missed it by THAT much!". Thanks for the intel.

Elwoodman, there was a Marine Reserve Unit at San Antonio Arsenal? It sounds like you are saying you were part of the Admin staff there? If that is correct, what was the reserve unit?

You have me curious as I thought that was a Army only outfit.

Semper Fi by the way sir. Always nice to encounter another Marine.

San Antonio should have been B Co?. 4th Recon Bn. They stayed with us at 2nd Recon Bn, Camp Lejeune during their 2 week Summer Camp back in the mid 70's. Other Recon reserve companies were in Reno NV and Billings MT.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    A proof "P" in a square box is the overhaul proof mark of the San Antonio Arsenal or, if real late, the Red River Arsenal.

Hope this helps.

J.B.
    Would this also apply to M1s bearing a square "P"? This M1 also has an electro-penciled Benicia Arsenal rebuild mark on the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Would this also apply to M1s bearing a square "P"? This M1 also has an electro-penciled Benicia Arsenal rebuild mark on the receiver.
    I can't speak for M1's, but I would assume M1's received the same proof mark as M1903's.

J.B.

Inspector- Instructor's Staff, 4th Reconnaissance Bn,USMC(R).
    i was an 0311 on the mend from a helo crash when assigned there They had recently moved to a USN(R)/USMC(R) facility, adjacent to Fort Sam Houston. Logistics more efficient and better parking for "the part-time help
    " There were Bn HQ, H&S Co., A Co., and C Co., 4th Recon; B Co was in Billings,Mt, D Co in Albuquerque, NM, and E Co. in Anchorage, Alaska. circa 1990s.

Thank you, Mr. Beard.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    What is the date on your rebuild. Benicia was deactivated sometime in 1963 and closed in 1964. BA4 is Anniston.