1. Default Is this a Bannerman cut down ?

20151005_234456.jpg[ATTA20151005_234927.jpg20151005_234723.jpgCH=CONFIG]32716[/ATTACH]
    I have had this in the back of my safe for a longtime the only thing I know is the barrel is 25" and the overall is around 45" the breach is stamped 1869 my adopted dad said it was a trial or experimental gun after a little research I thought it might be a Bannerman gun. It looks like it has never had a round through it any info would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is a Model 1868 Rifle which was shortened for some reason, by person(s) unknown.

The number is too high (and the gun is too short) to have been an altered M1869 Cadet Rifle.

The block has been swapped as it would have to be dated 1870 if it were to match the receiver. The stock has been slimmed down around the action as well. Kind of "cute", and seemingly nicely done, but not original.

I'd be more likely to finger Bubba than Bannerman, however.

3. Default

Thanks for the info Dick ,now all I gotta do is get some brass and dies and shoot it with a clear conscience not worrying its something special thanks again.

These rifles were shortened for West Point Cadets. I would guess other military schools like VMI) did as well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    These rifles were shortened for West Point Cadets. I would guess other military schools like VMI) did as well.

Oh really? Documentation please.