Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Garand Info Needed

Friend of mine has a Garand 30.06 headed his way from CMP. He has never shot one, neither have I , and would like to find the correct manual or a good book on same before it arrives.

I found several Manuals on the net and all are in PDF and diagrams look real funky. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    john
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

I believe the rifle will come with a book on the care and cleaning of the M1. If not, they sell them (I think they still do)

Should come with a book, need grease or lubriplate and lots of ammo. cmp just released spam cans buy a few.

It should come with the CMP's "Read This First!" manual. This is an excellent handbook covering everything you need to know about the rifle and its maintenance. Like 1563621 said, get a good gun grease, the manual has a section on proper lubrication. Remember to clean from the breach with a pull through device or get a muzzle protector. Stock up on a bunch of USGI ball ammo or equivalent, you'll find you'll go through it in a hurry. A USGI combination tool is good to have if you can get one at a decent price. I know Federal makes excellent shooting M2 Ball equivalent ammo if you prefer new to surplus.

Please do read the manual before doing anything with the weapon! You won't be sorry.

The CMP manual is kind of the M-1 Quick Start Up version. FM 23-5 is the Army manual, every M-1 owner should have that. The exact year isn't terribly important. There are also a gold mine of Army training films on the M-1 and its maintenance as well as rifle marksmanship on the Internet. Most if not all are on YouTube. Privately made Youtubes on the M-1 are iffy at best - generally NOT recommended.

If you need to find a good gun grease, hit your local K-Mart, Walmart, or auto parts store and get some simple white lithium grease (it's what I use). Inexpensive, and it will do the job just fine. Generously lube all areas that slide (op-rod, bolt, follower, connections, etc.).

Happy Shooting!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

If you go to this page on you tube, have a sandwich, beverage of your choice and you can review the Army training films on the M1 .30cal. HTH

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+training+film

While I have the manuals, I don't need them as that's the rifle they issued me many years ago!
    Funny; we also had them in high school and when they gave a class in the army I had mine field stripped at the start. The sgt made me put it back together again and do it by the numbers with the rest of the class

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    While I have the manuals, I don't need them as that's the rifle they issued me many years ago!
    Funny; we also had them in high school and when they gave a class in the army I had mine field stripped at the start. The sgt made me put it back together again and do it by the numbers with the rest of the class
    There's one in every crowd. 8-)

Tell him to buy a copy of Hatcher's Book of The Garand. $17.99 in paperback or $24.99 hard cover, on Amazon. It's a good read even if you don't have a rifle. Has a trouble shooting chapter that is a bit more extensive than what seems to be in the on-line TM(don't know why considering it's a copy of the TM/FM.). Plus the rifle's history and sight adjusting info.
    The correct TM's and FM's are here. http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/ (.pdf is fine if your machine is working properly.) Note the need for the provided UN & PW.
    If your buddy is going to reload, think 150 to 180 grain bullets with IMR or H 4895, IMR4064(more consistently accurate with match 168 or 175 grain bullets than either 4895) or Varget. Not the only suitable powders, but the most common. He must FL resize every time watch the case lengths and OAL just like any semi-auto.
    Spelling and grammar count!