1. Default SRS Check Please 1903 NM?

The rifle is a Springfield Armory 03, serial number 1361526. With my limited knowledge it looks to be a national match. I don't see any CV marked parts nor national match numbers in the wood pieces. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry no hit.

3. Default

Thanks for your quick response.

4. Default

Post pictures. Not all NM rifles are SRS listed.

Blog Entries

What those who responded to your post did not say is that numbers 1361525 and 1361527 are listed as 1903 NM Rifles. Numerous other rifles in that serial number range are listed as National Match Rifles. It is only circumstantial evidence but I would bet that your rifle is legitimate NM. As Promo said, not all 1903 NM rifles are SRS listed.

Herschel,

Would that be because the SRS data reflects mostly "sales" rifles ? Perhaps #1361526 was a military "team" rifle and therefore not sold through sales ?

Please offer your opinion of that possibility.

Thanks,

Emri
    Last edited by Emri; 10-02-2015 at 05:38.

My opinion is that you are correct, Emri. Rifles sold to members of the military or those rifle made as NM and later used as service rifles (thus, "not sold") were not recorded.

Also, early NM rifles rarely, if ever, appear on the SRS list. This is because IIRC that NM rifles were not "legal" for sale until the early 1920s.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries

I concur with Rick.

The Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) was an office within Army Ordnance that was responsible for handling sales of military arms, including National Match rifles, to civilian members of the National Rifle Association. Military officers and shooting team members were also eligible to buy National Match rifles and their purchases were not recorded as DCM sales. But they were sales, nevertheless.

A 1930 NM rifle would have no drawing numbers in the parts and only the cocking piece might be marked "CV". The bolt and stock, however, should be serialized to the rifle.

Hope this helps.

J.B.