Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

Also, is this rifle considered an antique? I know that krags below a certain number are considered antique but I don't know what that number is.
    Last edited by ghostdevilguy; 09-29-2015 at 09:26.

2. Default

Ghost, 1898 and earlier. Rob

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ramair View Post
    Ghost, 1898 and earlier. Rob
    Thanks

I see lots of those swivels, I have a set on one of my cutdowns that was likely done in the 1950's, as it has some diamond patterns of slightly lighter wood inletted into the Italian walnut stock. The swivels may be from some surplus dealer or home gunsmith supply. The sporterized stock my swivels are on was once an 1899 stock that had been inletted for an 1896 action.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdevilguy View Post
    Also, is this rifle considered an antique? I know that krags below a certain number are considered antique but I don't know what that number is.
    152670 - Krags below that are safe enough for Girl Scouts, and no threat to anyone's life or limb - higher, they are fiendish weapons of mass destruction - the thinking behind that? Your tax dollars at work.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    152670 - Krags below that are safe enough for Girl Scouts, and no threat to anyone's life or limb - higher, they are fiendish weapons of mass destruction - the thinking behind that? Your tax dollars at work.
    Thanks

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    I see lots of those swivels, I have a set on one of my cutdowns that was likely done in the 1950's, as it has some diamond patterns of slightly lighter wood inletted into the Italian walnut stock. The swivels may be from some surplus dealer or home gunsmith supply. The sporterized stock my swivels are on was once an 1899 stock that had been inletted for an 1896 action.
    I was pretty sure the swivels were added on later, thanks for confirming. When I sell the rifle they will not go with it, I am going to throw them in my parts bin where they will stay until I have a use for them. The sling that was on this rifle is an older 1907 pattern sling that I am thinking about putting on my Garand.

GD, you have a very interesting carbine there. My own thought is, "it is what it is." If you are not going to shoot it or keep it around, get a replacement bolt, put the swivels back on and sell it as is. It's gotta be worth the sum of its parts at least.

It's rare enough I probably would not use it as a hunting rifle. Or maybe I would.

Good luck.

jn