Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Help needed with Krag carbine

I just bought a 1898 krag carbine, it has the "C" markings on the rear sight, and it's serial number 1215xx. The stock has the 1900 stamp on it, it had sling swivels and a 1907 on it that I took off. The barrel also appers to have the proper front sight, and is 22" long. I don't know a lot about these so I would like an expert to weigh in. Also, let me know if anymore pictures are needed

Last edited by ghostdevilguy; 09-27-2015 at 03:23.

Very nice find - the number - without checking (and of course I can't, anyhow) is at least believable for one of the 5000 examples.

It has been re-sighted and re-stocked. The original configuration for the M1898 carbine was with the short 30" stock, with horned band and M96C rear sight.

Your rear sight, the M1898C, is a scarce one. Someone appears to have bent the bolt handle slightly - that should be fixed.

3. Default

A couple of more pictures, including some of where the holes from the swivels were, do you have any idea what this rifle is worth?

Last edited by ghostdevilguy; 09-27-2015 at 03:37.

That's a bad question to ask after you bought it!

The answer is not easy. While not common,that model often doesn't bring a lot of money because it is extremely easy to fake, but nearly impossible to prove that it is real.

The rear sight alone is worth about $400 to someone who needed it - and the whole gun should probably bring something in excess of $1,000.

If you want to give the whole number, it can be checked against the few verified specimens, but even that means little because the 5000 guns were spread over a range of around 23,000 numbers - so - nearly 4 out of 5 in that span were NOT carbines.

5. Default

The good news is that I got it for less than $400, so I thought that even if it was a sporter it was a good deal, the whole number I will pm you. If this one is real, I want to put it the hands of a krag collector. I was thinking about asking $1000 + an l1a1 or other fal parts kit, does that seem fair?
    Last edited by ghostdevilguy; 09-27-2015 at 04:47.

6. Default

It seems you message box is full so I can't pm you

I've got Dick's email - I'll do so.

RtL
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

8. Default

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdevilguy View Post
    Thanks
    Rick gave me the number, but I cannot access my 1898C list just now. At under $400 you are OK - the sight is worth that. I'll get back to you as soon as I can, but the odds are not good and ONLY direct hits count. "Close" is always iffy, but with the 98C it is absolutely meaningless.

I checked on my list (in the back of Frank Mallory's 2nd ed. Krag book) and did not get a hit.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis