Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rod Bayonet 1903

Here is a quick link to a Rod Bayonet 1903 Springfield that is coming up for auction on Rock Island Auction. It's got an original R.B. barreled receiver chambered in 30-03. That's always a Good Thing. If a R.B. 03 ain't chambered in 30-03, It's pretty much to my way of thinking to be just an assembly of parts on a late barreled receiver. The rifle might just as well have a Wooden barrel when one thinks about it. I was lucky when I took an educated chance on proxy bidding on the rifle I got in an auction and the rifle did indeed turn out to be chambered for 30-03. It really does stand out as noticebly taller when sitting between two other 1903's in 30-06.
    Anyway, all of the really hard to get and important original Rod Bayonet parts are on this rifle being auctioned. It even has it's original rear sight. I just thought that this would be of interest to any of you fellows who've been looking for one of these rifles. Seems to me that the estimated going price for it is just OK for what one would be getting. I wish my good wife would let me buy it for my birthday, I'd do it. Sigh...

http://www.rockislandauction.com/vie...id/65/lid/1796
    Last edited by Fred; 09-08-2015 at 01:13.

Thank you Fred for posting this auction link. Not that I'm interested in bidding, just nice to review some good photos of a rifle never seen first hand.

You're very welcome Alkali!

So, does anyone know what the rifle went for yesterday?

5. Default

According to Proxibid website it sold for $4500, so way below the estimate: https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...-Bayonet-Rifle

I believe the $4500 do not include the buyer's premium, but even with the credit card fee (so 17.5%) the total would "only" be $5287.

The funny thing is that the next lot #1797 was a M1917 in very nice condition, so one of probably thousands. It sold for $4750, so more than a Rod Bayonet M1903 .. crazy world.

Thanks Georg. That rifle was a Fantastic and Unique opportunity for somebody. The only thing that the RB rifle really lacked was a solid rear band. However a later band could be Helio Arch Welded solid at the base and then carefully finished with a file. Absolutely incredible that the rifle didn't go for much more. I regret not bidding on it myself. I think that such an opportunity to obtain such a correct piece for so little will not come again.
    I alerted a fellow about it who'd been hoping to buy mine. I'd told him that I wouldn't be interested in selling my rifle for at least 15 or 20 years if that. He said that he couldn't wait 20 years and so was glad to learn of the auction. Maybe he was the Very fortunate man who won it. Wow, I hope so.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-13-2015 at 09:31.

7. Default

And, did your friend get it?

To his regret, no. He told me that he didn't bother looking at it because he was pretty busy with things at the time and so it slipped away the next morning before he could follow up on my alert of it coming up for auction.
    However another fellow I know who has two of them just told me yesterday that he is wanting to sell one of his. He has asked me to give his contact information to the other fellow I know who missed out on the one that just auctioned off. One of the two that he owns was given to the Governor of New Jersey in 1904.
    It seems that there's a noticible increase in collectors who are wanting to get a Rod Bayonet 1903 for their collection.
    There are definitely more guys out there now who want one than there are rifles available.
    I think that the rifle that just sold for $4,500.00 went to a bidder on the floor who was holding his cards close and who took advantage of the hesitation of others. Not everyone who has a passion for them has studied up on the subject enough to recognize when a real bargain comes along. They understandably hesitate in jumping on the rare sleeper that soon slips away. Their ship finally comes in but they ain't on the dock waiting. With way over 2,000 items being auctioned off, the rifle fell into the background for all but the guy who waited patiently for it to come up on the block. I'll bet that he would've gone much higher in his bidding for it had there been another fellow who had reserved his cash for just that item. Obtaining a Rod Bayonet 1903 Springfield these days has to be a full time job. One has to Really want one and be constantly on the look out and one has to follow up on it all or one will just not obtain such a rifle. A casual interest in the subject won't put such a rifle in one's collection. They almost certainly will not be showing up at just any old gun show or garage sale. Well, maybe mine will one day if I'm the last to go.
    The early bird gets the worm and he who Snoozes looses. It took about 30 years for one to come my way though. Maybe I wasn't looking very hard.
    Having finally obtained my own 1903 Rod Bayonet Springfield, my spirit will not have to wander forever between the winds in the next world because I am now content.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-16-2015 at 02:49.

Last edited by Fred; 09-16-2015 at 08:17.

Would love to get one, as well ...but short of one of those guys from Nigeria finally coming through with their promised wealth, I'm afraid it is not to be ...
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis