Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hi Steve,

I've answered your PM.

I don't know about the time being interesting unless it had to do with liberty! Seriously, I never did put my sniper training to use in the Nam, so you might be better served contacting the Marines at the scout sniper association, or attempting to contact retirees Col. Dave Willis and Major Jim Land in Virginia. That said, I can speak with some authority about the first sniper school class that was conducted by Brigade Schools. That class was made up of twelve or thirteen non-rates from the 4th Marine Regiment at Kaneohe Bay, plus two officers, and was conducted at Puuloa Rifle Range in 1962.

James
    Last edited by JWM; 11-25-2015 at 07:13.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
    Hi Steve,

I've answered your PM.

I don't know about the time being interesting unless it had to do with liberty! Seriously, I never did put my sniper training to use in the Nam, so you might be better served contacting the Marines at the scout sniper association, or attempting to contact retirees Col. Dave Willis and Major Jim Land in Virginia. That said, I can speak with some authority about the first sniper school class that was conducted by Brigade Schools. That class was made up of twelve or thirteen non-rates from the 4th Marine Regiment at Kaneohe Bay, plus two officers, and was conducted at Puuloa Rifle Range in 1962.

James
    Shooting a match at Puuloa in the extinct volcano is on my bucket list if I ever get to Hawaii.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I've shot a few matches at Puuloa, and I think that you would enjoy shooting there if the range still exists, but I think you have it mixed up with the rifle range at Kbay, which is located in an extinct volcano crater. Did a whole lot of shooting there.

I like your flag! My ancestors moved into the southern part of Mississippi about 1814, or earlier, in what is now Wilkinson and Lawrence counties, and by 1835 they were in Tippah, Carroll, and Lowndes counties just to name a few. All four of my great grandfathers wore the gray, and all of their brothers did as well save for maybe one or two that were too young. One with the 17th MS infantry, one in the 31st LA infantry, and two in Texas Cavalry units.

Happy thanksgiving to you and yours!!!!!

James
    Last edited by JWM; 11-26-2015 at 07:32.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
    jt, I'd not doubt that at all, however, when attempting to authenticate any item every little bit of knowledge helps to this end. In the case of the package that I sold to the aforementioned collector, the very fact that the bases were staked played a vital role in the sale in that they were, in my mind and, perhaps, his mind as well, that all items were more likely than not all original.

As for the Corps maintaining tight standards on military property, you are correct, but sometimes they simply don't want to fool with some issues. For example, I had been the senior enlisted member of the very first official sniper school during the pre-Nam era in Hawaii. And, about the time I had completed the course, the 1st Marine Brigade turned in their M-1's for the M-14's, all except those of us that were company snipers and rifle team members. Conseuqently, when I tried to turn in my M-1 about eight to ten months later to battalion supply, they refused to take it, since that change-over was complete as they saw it. My platoon sergeant took it, and he might have still had it when he retired. He was an old WWII vet as were all of the platoon sergeants in Mike 3/4 at that time.

Do you know my buddy, Maj. Jim Land? Every time I see Jim, I have the urge to salute the crusty old Marine.

Staking is the easiest thing to fake there is. Never depend on that one trait. What kind of package did you sell? I mean what was in the package? It may have been me that contacted you. I don't remember.

jt

PS

My great grandfather enlisted in Montgomery's Calvary in 1861 at 18 yrs old, which later became Hilliard's Legion of the Alabama Light Artillery. I still have his rifle (his last one).
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 11-26-2015 at 04:38.

Steve: In reference to help better identify your scope's bases, you might want to compare them with the pictures and specs shown in Brophy's book about the Springfield 1903, if you have not already done so.

jt:

We have exchanged emails in the past about sniping items, their history, and the sniper school that I was a member of that was born out of Major Land's work, but it's been a good while since that time. Do you still, or were you then, intending to publish the findings of your research at some point in the future or not?

Yes, I've had the good fortune to have met your good friend Jim in person, regrettably, only once. It was indeed an honor, but I found him to be easy going and friendly and not crusty at all.

The items that I sold were the scope, mounts, bases with screws, and leather lens cover.

Which state and county(ies) did Montgomery's Cavalry represent, jt, was it Alabama as well? PM if you will on this point and any that are not on topic since I stray from topics all too often, and I don't want to hijack Steve's thread.

James
    Last edited by JWM; 11-28-2015 at 08:08.

6. Default

Smokeaterpilot, check your messages.

jt

7. Default

Jim, this is the cover of a late USMC type leather carrying pouch, with the woven sling (not the early WWI type). It reads "919026". This serial is not SRS listed, nor close to any "SGS" listing in SRS.

Below that is another serial number, lined out. I cannot make it out what it reads.

Would you agree that this was most probably an USMC sniper rifle?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Promo; 12-02-2015 at 06:04.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    Jim, this is the cover of a late USMC type leather carrying pouch, with the woven sling (not the early WWI type). It reads "919026". This serial is not SRS listed, nor close to any "SGS" listing in SRS.

Below that is another serial number, lined out. I cannot make it out what it reads.

Would you agree that this was most probably an USMC sniper rifle?
    Rather difficult to make an assessment based on a serial number found on a scope case not made for the A5 sniper rifle scopes. The SN is in an interesting range where a small sample of A5 rifles (third set) overlap M1913 rifles. Georg, I believe you own one of the SGS rifle closest to it - 922150, and you know what scope is on it.

Any history with that scope case?

jt

9. Default

Hi Jim, the history is that it came from eBay .. . Yes, know on the closeby M1913 scoped rifles.

The scope can is for the Neidner modified mounts. I know that one of the scopes has the rear ring wrong way round mounted. Haven't had time to correct it yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    Hi Jim, the history is that it came from eBay .. . Yes, know on the closeby M1913 scoped rifles.

The scope can is for the Neidner modified mounts. I know that one of the scopes has the rear ring wrong way round mounted. Haven't had time to correct it yet.

Georg,

What is inside the cap of that scope case? Is that the scope case with the serial number on the top?

jt