Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You guys should really talk Gunn308 into showing off his WWI Winchester A5 sniper. It's probably one of the only real ones out there.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gunn308 View Post
    A Ford for a scope good trade and easier to store.
    Will you post pictures of your rifle, Gunn308?

jt

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    Will you post pictures of your rifle, Gunn308?

jt
    He was the one with the chest with the two rifles on the USmilitariaforum. I would like to see more pics though too.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    He was the one with the chest with the two rifles on the USmilitariaforum. I would like to see more pics though too.
    I remember it, but I never saw a picture of the serial number. Replacement stock and forearm and those mysterious pipe wrench marks on the barrel. It appears to be exactly what it is claimed to be, correct mounts and replacement scope. But what happened to the scope case? The rifle was issued to Captain Frank Z. Becker at OSD as an Instructor SSS. He has a winner.

jt

congrats on the beautiful scope & mounts Steve.... Your photog work is superb sir...Know that your family remains in our prayers..... Toys come, toys go... All bills get paid & family taken care of before anything else..
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
    congrats on the beautiful scope & mounts Steve.... Your photog work is superb sir...Know that your family remains in our prayers..... Toys come, toys go... All bills get paid & family taken care of before anything else..
    You know we are doing excellent! We had a tough couple years between almost loosing my son and my wife had brain surgery. lol No joke on that either. They removed about a softball size of her skull to get in there.

But no I cannot complain at all. Everyone is healthy. The kids love school and the wife just got a promotion at work.

God is good! Thanks for the prayers though, they are always appreciated!

Steve,

I thought you had contacted me about my Winchester A5 sniper scope that I had on auction at GB not long ago, but apparently it was not you. Anyway, that scope along with its bases, screws, and leather lens covers now reside in a private, highly advanced military collection. The bases also had the stake marks.

You have a fine looking scope there, and it is good to know that you are helping to advance the knowledge about the Corps' sniping history.

James
    Last edited by JWM; 11-23-2015 at 11:08.

8. Default

Concerning the staking of the screws: Not all of the rifles assembled by Winchester had staked screws. I have had the privilege of seeing several all original sniper rifles with their accompanying gear, and two of them had no stake marks on the mount screws. Each sniper was issued a set of special gear along with his rifle. I have never seen a rifle with all its gear posted on any forum. I guess it was difficult to walk off with all the gear. A large number of Marines kept their scopes, but a prolonged search showed they (the existing sets matched to known snipers) all have something in common other than being trained as a sniper. I always wondered how an equipment conscious bunch like the Corps would allow issued gear to walk off.

jt

jt, I'd not doubt that at all, however, when attempting to authenticate any item every little bit of knowledge helps to this end. In the case of the package that I sold to the aforementioned collector, the very fact that the bases were staked played a vital role in the sale in that they were, in my mind and, perhaps, his mind as well, that all items were more likely than not all original.

As for the Corps maintaining tight standards on military property, you are correct, but sometimes they simply don't want to fool with some issues. For example, I had been the senior enlisted member of the very first official sniper school during the pre-Nam era in Hawaii. And, about the time I had completed the course, the 1st Marine Brigade turned in their M-1's for the M-14's, all except those of us that were company snipers and rifle team members. Conseuqently, when I tried to turn in my M-1 about eight to ten months later to battalion supply, they refused to take it, since that change-over was complete as they saw it. My platoon sergeant took it, and he might have still had it when he retired. He was an old WWII vet as were all of the platoon sergeants in Mike 3/4 at that time.
    Last edited by JWM; 11-23-2015 at 07:20.

James, I sent you a PM. It sounds like you were present during a very interesting time in Marine Corps sniper history and I would love to interview you. Semper Fi.

Steve