Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Picked up a nice Springfield 1922M1 sales rifle today

I have been looking for an original MI sales variation and bought it today.The rifle is 90% with the MI bolt although I haven't seen it yet.Will have it in a week or so.Just from the dealers description it has all original finish rust blue and NRA type stock with a front globe sight.

After looking in the Auction lists these rifles with original attributes don't come up very often and when they do they command a pretty price. These are beautiful rifles and the only one I wish I had was the M1922MI Issue rifle with "B" Stock.

The serial # is 19358 so it's a late MI it could even be a transition rifle with the early M2 type bolt .It is within the known serial numbers according to Eyberg's article.I'll have to wait and see all I can say is I'm excited.

Here is the only image I have of the rifle can't wait to see this baby.

Roger

Last edited by Fast996; 09-19-2015 at 06:43.

2. Default

Same picture....just reversed. Definitely a M1 bolt. About the only original M1 that you will see will be a sales rifle because most all military M1s were converted to M2 configuration.

3. Default

I was at the auction where this rifle was available...I bid on it and should have went a little more..It is drilled and tapped for a target scope, bolt matches and is the original (not m2) bolt, barrel date was 1931 (can't remember month)..The only issue with this rifle is that it had a spot of pitting on the barrel halfway about the size of a dime and someone wooled it pretty hard and removed some finish around it and there was some minor pitting at the muzzle, with the buyers premium it went for a little over a 1000$...
    Last edited by rockisle1903; 09-20-2015 at 05:38.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rockisle1903 View Post
    I was at the auction where this rifle was available...I bid on it and should have went a little more..It is drilled and tapped for a target scope, bolt matches and is the original (not m2) bolt, barrel date was 1931 (can't remember month)..The only issue with this rifle is that it had a spot of pitting on the barrel halfway about the size of a dime and someone wooled it pretty hard and removed some finish around it and there was some minor pitting at the muzzle, with the buyers premium it went for a little over a 1000$...
    Small world. I found this auction in a small town in Ohio and thought there wouldn't be much interest...glad I had a higher cover me bid. Anyway thanks rockisle for filling me in on the rifle. The auctioneer told me it had a little bit of pitting up on top. Yes with transfer and shipping it will be just over a grand. I have another gun just like it but is has the upgraded M2 bolt,but it is still marked M1922M1,the later style like this rifle. Can you tell me the condition of the stock,butt plate and sight if you recall.....thanks. Roger

5. Default

stock/buttplate were fine..minor spotting on the lyman

6. Default

The rifles listed in Butch Eyberg's article were simply 1922M1's originally produced with M1 bolts. They sat at Springfield long enough that they were fitted with the M2 bolts before being sold. There is a much different variation, the M1/M2 rifle that will have barrel dates well into M2 production (1935 and later). These are blued rifles in NRA stocks with M2 bolts numered to the rifle.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    The rifles listed in Butch Eyberg's article were simply 1922M1's originally produced with M1 bolts. They sat at Springfield long enough that they were fitted with the M2 bolts before being sold. There is a much different variation, the M1/M2 rifle that will have barrel dates well into M2 production (1935 and later). These are blued rifles in NRA stocks with M2 bolts numbered to the rifle.
    The transition rifles I have seen and only 3 of them in the last 2 years,all have the early M2 bolt. They are marked "NS" and M2 on the lug,but the receivers are marked M1922M1. Just another rare variation that someday I hope to stumble across. I would say that as far as rarity,the NRA sales rifles would classify something like this.

1. NRA M2 sales variation
    2. NRA M1922M1/M2 sales variation (transition)
    3. NRA M1922M1 sales variation
    4. NRA M1922MII sales variation
    5. NRA M1922M1 DCM club sales

The rifle you talk about I have never seen (is it a late M2 bolt?)

That's just my opinion on how scarce they seem to be. I'm sure you or Herschel can set me straight,if I'm off a bit. Anyway I'm glad to have this rifle,as it's original. Thanks

p.s. And there seems to be all kinds of combinations,as I recently came across a "B" marked M1922MII club gun that is parked with the early M2 bolt.
    Last edited by Fast996; 09-21-2015 at 10:32.

8. Default

I have two of the M1/M2's bought years apart from different individuals. Barrel dates are 1935 and 1937. One has two bolts with it, the original M1 and a late M2. the other has only the late M2. As to the early M2 bolts, I have heard opinions that these alterations were done in 1934 and the receivers were not altered. The one I have has the original barrel, though I guess some could have had the barrel replaced. What I have found is that most of the 40,000 22 cal Springfields have been altered, upgraded or just plain ruined either by Springfield or a later gunsmith. Besides Butch Eyberg, who I never met or spoke with there were a few others that knew or know a lot about these rifles. Fred Ewalt was one. Wayne Gagner and Herschel are the two still around who have seen a lot of these rifles.

BTW, I would place the 1922MII NRA sales rifles just below the NRA M2.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    I have two of the M1/M2's bought years apart from different individuals. Barrel dates are 1935 and 1937. One has two bolts with it, the original M1 and a late M2. the other has only the late M2. As to the early M2 bolts, I have heard opinions that these alterations were done in 1934 and the receivers were not altered. The one I have has the original barrel, though I guess some could have had the barrel replaced. What I have found is that most of the 40,000 22 cal Springfields have been altered, upgraded or just plain ruined either by Springfield or a later gunsmith. Besides Butch Eyberg, who I never met or spoke with there were a few others that knew or know a lot about these rifles. Fred Ewalt was one. Wayne Gagner and Herschel are the two still around who have seen a lot of these rifles.

BTW, I would place the 1922MII NRA sales rifles just below the NRA M2.
    Well I learn something new everyday. Did Eyburg or Brophy mention these? I can't recall. I have gathered up a lot of reading material on these and study when I find a gun that looks interesting. Your comment about the M1922MII variation peaks my interest. Seems like you could spend many years just collecting NRA's....Thanks.

I am currently in the market for a Springfield .22 and originally wanted an M2 but now realize a M1922 in good condition would be acceptable. Offers? Does anyone have a date of production by serial number compilation of these Springfield .22s?

Since I began looking I now realize that there are a lot of rifles being offered at $1000 - $2000 that are far from correct or even close to correct. I would appreciate any reference material referrals, as I find little information available. What is the Eyburg cite?

Thanks
    "We were winning when I left." 415 days RVN '66-'67. OFC