Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Srs please

Default Srs please

A friend asked about his 03. # 1405743.
    Thanks

Close, but no cigar - right next to another M1903A1 NM. Does your friend's rifle have any NM characteristics?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I have not yet seen the rifle. He thinks his father purchased the rifle though the USMC. I also know that it has a replacement H.S. barrel.

You should ask him if there are Usmc type vise marks on the barrel near the barrel sleeve. I've a few Usmc 1903's with them and I actually seen a HS barrel with them on a Springfield that I tried to bid on but didn't win.
    Last edited by louis; 10-06-2015 at 11:47.

That would be neat to see, a HS barrel with vise marks. I've never seen one before but I guess I just always wrote them off as Marine and didn't really look at them either. The latest barrel I've found with them so far was a 11/42 SA.

I've never found a 43 or 44 dated barrel of any kind with vise marks, but I never say never in this hobby anymore. So if anyone has one, I would love to know about it, just for my own research on Marine 1903's.

Just out of morbid curiosity though Skywagon, because of the serial number and the story, any holes drilled in the top of the receiver? Like for a scope mount?
    Last edited by cplnorton; 10-06-2015 at 03:55.

Hey Steve, I never really looked at them only on occasion and the one I saw definetly had them. So I had one of our other expert check it out and he agreed. I tried to bid on it but no go unfortunately. Now I check them all out. That was the only one since. So if the story is true there might be s possibility this one may have it also. It would obviously be a post war rebuild.
    Last edited by louis; 10-06-2015 at 04:00.

Louis, do you remember the month and year of the barrel by chance?

No and I did take a line photos of it but lost it when my phone went out learned a lesson to save them after that. Lost a bunch of photos unfortunately. But if my memory serves me I believe it was 1944
    Last edited by louis; 10-06-2015 at 04:42.

Steve, check your private email I sent you two hopefully you'll be able to open what I sent you
    Louis

Louis I tried to write you back, but you inbox is full.