Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Default 03 Rifles in the Movies

Watched a very entertaining movie tonight. It is called "Buck Private" with Abbott and Costello starring and also the Andrew Sisters. It came out in 1941. In parts of the movie that they were out on drills they all had 03 Springfield rifles and they had 16" bayonets hanging from their belts with the old leather tipped scabbards. Very cool to see..

Buck Private is a fun flick! Abbott and Costello are always funny. For O3's in the movies... The Professionals. Also of course Sergeant York, Them Came To Cordura, The Wild Bunch. For my part, very much remember how impressed I was with the way the 03 was used in The Professionals. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Let's not forget Guadalcanal Diary. Lots of 03's and other early USMC weapons. Another great movie.

Look carefully - in a number of the WWII-era movies, either Bannerman or Sedgely rifles were used. "Sergeant York" and "Bataan", among them. Look for the Krag-type rear sights.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

The Wild Bunch with the '03A3 in 1913. Not as bad as no rear sight on Hank Fonda's M1.
    My friends hate watching movies with me. Not sure if it's because of the, "I have one of those." or the "That's impossible and never happened." snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    The Wild Bunch with the '03A3 in 1913. Not as bad as no rear sight on Hank Fonda's M1.
    My friends hate watching movies with me. Not sure if it's because of the, "I have one of those." or the "That's impossible and never happened." snicker.
    My family avoids me will watching WWII flicks, especially! You can imagine what I was like while watching the movie "Pearl Harbor" a number of years back!! LOL!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Pearl harbor is a love flick (chick movie). Pearl was just the back drop, based very loosely on fact, VERY! My wife loves it, does not care about the, "facts".
    You can never go home again.

Loosely is being kind. But then they did have p-40's and zero's and there was a Pearl Harbor oh yea I know there were battleships in it also. Close enough for Hollywood.

"Pearl Harbor" is quite routinely named on the list of 10 worst all-time war movies - sometimes #1
    --C.S. Lewis

A number of Cagney films come to mind, FIGHTING 69TH, the Shanghai Lil drill in YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, and WHAT PRICE GLORY, great USMC flick ;the drill and nautical terminology is great.
    Somebody surely mentioned SAND PEBBLES.
    Speaking of inappropriate 03A3 use don't forget Karl Malden dragging one around as Omar Bradley at Kasserine. I guess he being a general officer might have gotten the first one off of the production line!?!?