Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 30 40 krag brass

it's fall so where and when will the brass start to show up, want 200 rd brass?

Keep and eye on Graf and Sons, and Midway. My 30-40 brass (somewhere around 600 rounds worth) is starting to get long in the tooth now, with more than 15 loadings on some of it... and some are starting to show cracks in the lips of the case necks too. Being that I shoot a couple matches every month from March to October, it's time to rebuild my stash too!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

When it's .30-40 Krag brass 'season' is never mentioned by any of the manufacturers or retailers. Seems to be very erratic. Midway even says "This product is available periodically, often on inconsistent intervals.".
    Midway is showing they have Remington loaded ammo though. $36.99 per 20 with an available rebate with a Remington coupon found via Midway's site.
    It is rumoured that you can make .30-40 Krag out of .303 British. Case forming dies run $99.99. Special order and you won't get it until 15 Dec.
    Spelling and grammar count!

All one needs to make .30/40 cases from .303 British is a .30/40 FL sizer. Lacking one of those, a .308 Win. FL sizer can be adjusted to push the shoulder back enough to chamber nicely (then also used as a neck sizer). 7.62x54R should also do the trick, as will .300 Savage and a few more.

The results will be a tad shorter than Krag cases, but .30/40 has more neck than we really need anyway - and you'll never have to trim!

Well... I've looked, and Midway is the only place carrying 30-40 brass currently, and it's out of stock. I set them to notify me when it becomes available. Now I wish I had ordered some back when it WAS available. Another option is to acquire loaded factory ammo, and you'll have some good once-fired stock after you shoot it. Of course, that would be expensive... especially 200 rounds worth, but the cost would eventually be off-set by what you save in reloading later. Just a thought...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Seeing this thread makes me glad I almost filled a gallon zip lock bag with new 30-40 brass. As much as I shoot my 30-40's there will be a lot of it left when I go the the other side. Did anyone look on Buffalo Arms?
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

9. Default

Gee, I saw some 30-40 brass with a 'FA' headstamp at the last show. Really.

10. Default

From as good a guy as you would ever want to buy from!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=511556626

HTH