Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIA question

Default RIA question

Looking at a RIA 1903 serial number 2358XX. Barrel RIA 7/13 which I believe is original. Stock is good no cracks but it is a single bolt stock. I thought 1913 would be a little late for a single bolt stock if its original to the gun or am I mistaken. Stocks got a few dings but no cracks.

He also had a SF 1903 serial number in 600,000 with a 1916 barrel also in a single bolt stock. This guns finish and stock were better but stock was sanded destroying all marks,,,,grrr.

Rock Island M1903s had single bolt stocks from roughly 1908 to the end of 1913 production. Any inspection stamps on the stock? The stock should have a large 1/4" "S" stamped on the foretip.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Yes the stock had the inspection stamps on the fore tip. There is a cartouche on the left side of stock under receiver but due to a dent and wear I could not read it. It had the serif P also. I thought the stock was legit but for some reason I thought 1910 or 1911 was when the second stock bolt went into production.

The second stock bolt started about 1917, after production (at RIA) had restarted.

A correct inspection stamp for your rifle would be a CN/1913 in a box and in script.

Can you post pictures?
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 09-17-2015 at 03:38.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

Did RIA not produce rifles from 1913-1917?

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Did RIA not produce rifles from 1913-1917?
    No, they did not.

They may have started producing parts, at least, in late 1916.

The reason for the shutdown was that it was felt that enough M1903s had been produced for the Regular Army and National Guard and that Springfield Armory could take care of anticipated future needs. Of course it turned out to be really bad timing because a few years later, the U.S. got involved in World War I and we needed all the rifles we could get. Worse, the workers who had jobs at RIA had scattered to the four winds and it took awhile to round up more. Conrad Nelson, for example, whose inspection stamp was on nearly all RIA M1903s of the pre-1914 era, got a job working at Eddystone, IIRC.

If you don't have CS Ferris' book on the Rock Island M1903, you should get it!!
    --C.S. Lewis

Have not bought it yet still a little apart on price. .....If I buy it I'll post plenty here. I don't have a single bolt stock 1903 so I'm trying to fill that gap. Course that only means there is another gap somewhere else.

Heck, I've only got five 03's. There's gaps all around me for 360 degrees. LOL

Fred he had 32 to look at...Doesn't that equal 32 gaps.....Per my wife approving one was very generous....lol