Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIA question

I know, my wife has to give the OK on my acquisitions or it just ain't gonna happen.

RIA 1903 serial number 2358XX. Barrel RIA 7/13
    sounds like an RIA /NRA rifle
    Respectfully
    Ed Byrns

Hey Ed! You get the photos I sent you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byrns View Post
    RIA 1903 serial number 2358XX. Barrel RIA 7/13
    sounds like an RIA /NRA rifle
    Respectfully
    Ed Byrns
    Weren't NRA rifles in cut down stocks? This one is in a full military single bolt stock.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Weren't NRA rifles in cut down stocks? This one is in a full military single bolt stock.
    I am not Ed Byrns, but NRA rifles were in full military single-bolt stocks. The very last few were in 2-bolt stocks, but those are very rare.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

p.s.,

If you'll post or email me the complete serial number, I'll see how it fits in my NRA rifle data base. I concur with Ed that the serial number appears to fit.

p.p.s.,

There's a good chance that the SA rifle is also an NRA rifle.
    Last edited by John Beard; 09-21-2015 at 07:29.

6. Default

I bought that book when it first came out. I have found over the years that merely buying the book (and not reading it) does not work well!

The second stock bolt was approved for manufacture in April of 1917.

John I sent you a PM with the serial number.

Also can anyone that's into these older 03's (My first interest was in 03A3's but I know just enough about 03's to make bad decisions) give an opinion on if this rifle is a RIA/NRA rifle if it adds to the value. I offered a price based on a decent RIA 1913 (low serial number obviously) with correct barrel (serial number range) and RIA stock (I'm not good enough to say for sure all small parts are RIA but I took a friend that is. Without taking it apart he said from what he saw it looks like it either made it through life as is, or someone corrected it at some time). The stock cartouche on the left side is not clear and there was some surface rust that should clean up on the top of the receiver and bolt. We are still a good distance apart on price. He never mentioned it being an NRA gun so I doubt he knows that. I spent some time on google/bing and did not find an answer so thought I'd solicit opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    John I sent you a PM with the serial number.

Also can anyone that's into these older 03's (My first interest was in 03A3's but I know just enough about 03's to make bad decisions) give an opinion on if this rifle is a RIA/NRA rifle if it adds to the value. I offered a price based on a decent RIA 1913 (low serial number obviously) with correct barrel (serial number range) and RIA stock (I'm not good enough to say for sure all small parts are RIA but I took a friend that is. Without taking it apart he said from what he saw it looks like it either made it through life as is, or someone corrected it at some time). The stock cartouche on the left side is not clear and there was some surface rust that should clean up on the top of the receiver and bolt. We are still a good distance apart on price. He never mentioned it being an NRA gun so I doubt he knows that. I spent some time on google/bing and did not find an answer so thought I'd solicit opinions.
    Thanks for your message! Reply sent.

You definitely have a sales rifle. As I pointed out in my message, not all sales rifles were sold to NRA members and not all were marked "N.R.A." But they're sales rifles nevertheless.

I do not believe that the "N.R.A." marking adds value. However, most sales rifles tend to be in well-above-average original condition, and that adds value! I sent you a description of the stock cartouche, and that may help you recognize it.

Hope this helps. I look forward to your reply!

J.B.

Alright, if I can't get it bought I will see if he lets me photograph it and post pics at least.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Shane