Thread: M48

1. Default M48

I BOUGHT A M48 IN LKE NEW CONDITION. WHEN I SHOT IT-IT DIDN'T FIRE, LEFT A DENT IN THE PRIMER. TRIED A FEW ROUNDS SAME THING.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks, Frank
    The trouble is,You think you have time.

Buddha

Take the bolt apart and clean it. May be full of old drying grease. Other wise a new spring may be in order, altho unlikely.
    You can never go home again.

Here's the solution. We had the same problem and the first thing you think you should file is wrong. Tried news pin, tried new spring, filed on stuff.

http://carteach0.blogspot.com.es/200...n-solving.html
    Last edited by dryheat; 09-17-2015 at 06:26.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Take the bolt apart and clean it. May be full of old drying grease. Other wise a new spring may be in order, altho unlikely.
    First, congratulations on the purchase of a fine rifle.

I had the same problem, and found the issue was the one mentioned by dave. I degreased the rifle after I bought it but forgot to disassemble the bolt. Took it to the range, click no bang. Knew right away what was almost surely wrong, disassembled the bolt and it was packed full of cosmoline. A thorough cleaning solved the problem permanently. Try this before any other solution.

The vast majority of M48s have had very little if any use. Since they were really obsolete when they were made the Yugoslavs put most of them in reserve for militia use should the Russians come storming over the border.

My M48, which I bought for $175,00 about 10 years ago, appears to have been handled little and shot less. It has a fit and finish that would rival most commercial hunting rifles. You can't find the really nice ones that cheap any more but an M48 is the best way to own a really nice Mauser standard model at a great price!!
    Last edited by Art; 09-20-2015 at 04:59.

which ammo are you using? Thoughly clean tthe the bolt and check firing pin protrusion. Usually it is just cosmoline that is stuck in the firing pin recess in the bolt. If it still has the problem try a box of Privi Partisan, if the problem persist, change the firing pin spring.

I have not had a Mauser where the spring was to weak yet, the standard spring is enough and there are plenty of nos ones out there,
    liberum aeternum

6. Default

The bolt was full of drying grease. It was sticky. I disassembled and cleaned thoroughly. It took a few tries to get it back together. The spring was very stiff. I think this should do the trick. The little groove on the cocking piece looks like it is closer to the bolt sleeve than when I started.

Thanks for the help.
    Frank

Buddha

7. Default

I took my M48 took to the range today and shot it and it worked. I only shot 15 rounds. Nice little rifle.

Buddha