1. Default Need Help with Entrenching Bayonet

I picked this bayonet up more than a few years ago. It fits over the muzzle of a Trapdoor but won't fit over the front sight. It has no markings at all. Can somebody connect the dots here and help me figure out what this fits?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hate to ask but did you rotate the center of the hand area so the groove lines up to slip over the sight? The picture of the end shows it in the locked position as it would be when on the rifle.

Either that or someone added a taller front sight and the slot in the handguard won't fit over it.

The joint is very ingenious - I've never quite figured how they did it. The handle swivels relative to the blade. If you cannot twist it, soak in WD40 or the like.

5. Default

Thanks for the info. I was not clear. The groove is too narrow to fit over the sight. Not too short but too narrow.

Have seen this type/style implement before but never owned one. Found the following links which may prove helpful. As to not fitting a TD rifle, might possibly fit one of the various experimental or trial repeaters that were used prior to the U.S. finally moving to a true small-bore bolt-action rifle... the .30-40 Krag. Sincerely. bruce.

MODEL 1873 TROWEL BAYONET
    http://www.horsesoldier.com/products.../bayonets/7194

U.S. M1884 TROWEL BAYONET
    http://www.horsesoldier.com/products...bayonets/14751
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I've owned a couple of those bayonets over the years, as well as the earlier version, without the patented handle, for the M1868.

Never had a problem fitting one to a contemporary rifle - I'd suspect that something is "wrong" (damaged? replaced?) with the gun you are trying it on, not the bayonet grip - which was only made with one size notch.