Default What country made this 7.62×54mmR Rd?

The bullet mikes out to only .307 not 311, maybe Finn? Can't quite determine/tell what the date is, hard to make out. I have about 30 loose rds of it. Ray

MVC-002L.JPGMVC-003L.JPGMVC-004L.JPGMVC-005L.JPG
    Last edited by rayg; 09-13-2015 at 07:56.

What are the numbers on the head stamp? They appear to be 60 and 53?

If it's a '60' it's Russian State Factory at Frunze, Kirgisia, Russia.
    Other number looks like '35' to me. That's Svenska Metallverken, Blikstorp, Sweden (1954 to 1965).
    No '53' on the Cartridge Collector's page. http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes#N
    Spelling and grammar count!

that's what the numbers appear to be. I just wasn't sure if it was a 60 or a 6C as it almost looked like a "C' and not a 0, but may be just a poor stamped 0, Ray

"...that's what the numbers appear to be..." Which? snicker.
    Magnifying glass or soft pencil and tissue paper to make a rubbing. That bullet is saying something too. An RN is kind of unusual for 7.62 x 54R.
    Spelling and grammar count!

The 60 is the factory number as Sunray said and yes it is Russian. The 53 would be the date for 1953. It could have been made as a match round or as a police round. But the shield with the N in it is something I have not seen before.

Posted the question on another forum and one poster stated they were reloads with shot gun primers. I think he might be right as I examined the cases and the cases do exibit evidence normally seen with reloaded cases including the absence of the lacquer sealer at the neck, Ray

MVC-006L.jpg
    Last edited by rayg; 09-14-2015 at 06:03.

I doubt that is a shotgun primer and yes they could be reloads. I would pull one and weigh the bullet and powder charge. I would also check the diameter of the bullet below the crimping grove as it very well may be larger then above the grove.

Here's the best on-line reference I've found:
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm

The earliest cartridges had a round nose like that, but a longer bullet. I wonder if that is some of the short range practice ammo (Czech?) that was available for awhile. I bought some of it for a nephew to shoot, but I have not even looked at it. I got the ammo from SGA. Addendum: Nope, its not the Czech short range ammo.

The case on that ammo looks like the copper washed steel cases I saw on ammo captured from the Russians in the late 1930's. Can you confirm that the case is magnetic, and tells us whether the bullet is magnetic?
    Last edited by NuJudge; 09-24-2015 at 03:03.