Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question 1873 Trapdoor with brass fittings

I have recently acquired a Trapdoor carbine with a very worn side plate eagle and date which appears to be 1873. The serial number, 354**, thus seems to be in the Custer range. What has me puzzled is that all of the fittings, (i.e.) side plate, trigger guard, butt plate, barrel band, etc. are made of what appears to be brass. I can find no reference of Trapdoor Carbines having brass fittings in my limited research that I have been able to complete. Can anyone please help me with any information regarding these carbines having brass fittings?

Many Thanks!

Can you post photos? Seeing the entire gun, in context, should provide further clues.

The brass parts would have to be (a) plated (have you tested them with a magnet?) for show (b) taken off another gun or (c) home-made. I am comfortable in stating that NO TDs ever left SA originally with brass furniture.

3. Default

DSC_4251.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Can you post photos? Seeing the entire gun, in context, should provide further clues.

The brass parts would have to be (a) plated (have you tested them with a magnet?) for show (b) taken off another gun or (c) home-made. I am comfortable in stating that NO TDs ever left SA originally with brass furniture.
    The fittings ARE magnetic and appear to be very old.

DSC_4251.jpg

DSC_4315.jpg

DSC_4260.jpg

DSC_4279.jpg

DSC_4273.jpg
    Last edited by foxfirerodandgun; 09-12-2015 at 10:09.

4. Default

Last edited by foxfirerodandgun; 09-12-2015 at 09:27.

In a nearby town we had a facility that manufactured lighting fixtures. At night the plating shop did a big business in employees plating just about everything. The local gunsmith got quite a few revolvers that had been plated and wouldn't go back together.

Like Dick, I suspect a plating job.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    In a nearby town we had a facility that manufactured lighting fixtures. At night the plating shop did a big business in employees plating just about everything. The local gunsmith got quite a few revolvers that had been plated and wouldn't go back together.

Like Dick, I suspect a plating job.
    YEP!! I just checked for myself, and did not take the word of the owner, and they are definitely magnetic!

Mystery solved!

Many Thanks To All!!

James

I'm truly sorry Fox - nothing personal in the following.

That is a real tragedy, having been horrendously over-cleaned by some freaking idiot.

It appears to be a completely straight - if heavily worn - 1st model carbine in a great serial range. I see zero wrong parts or anomalies.

Guys, that could be the poster child for what you do NOT want to do to an old gun. The whitish appearance hurts the eyes.

Some will take this as total heresy, but I would work that over with a mix of cold brown and cold blue until the metal at least looked "old" again. That would not be hurting it at all - the damage is done. VERY rarely do I recommend this course of action, and you would certainly have to disclose the artificial aging to any prospective purchaser.

That almost looks like it could be cheap Gold Plating as done with one of the old hobby kits using a couple of batteries for the electrical charge.

Man, it sure looks snazzy and I bet the owner showed it with pride. But, as Dick said, what a tragedy!! That carbine, if left original, would demand a high premium today. I used to collect carbines and even it would have been a very nice addition to my collection.

Ray
    Last edited by raymeketa; 09-12-2015 at 01:49.

suxs about the finish, I wish I had that stock for my Carbine, it is in the 369** serial range
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGONFLYDF View Post
    suxs about the finish, I wish I had that stock for my Carbine, it is in the 369** serial range
    Could you please send me the whole s/n for the database, or have I already asked you? CRS! :-(