Default Peculiar Krag Stock Marking?

(I posted this question on the Krag Collectors Association Forum, but, there was not much response).

I recently noticed an 'Eagle' stock marking, on a model 1898 Krag, that I have not seen on a Krag before. The rifle is on GunBroker and its serial number places manufacture in 1899. The stock has an 'acceptance cartouche' (script) "J.S.A. 1899". This model 1898 Krag has a damaged 1901 rear-sight.

The 'Eagle' stock marking appears in front of the Krag's Trigger-Guard. It is very similar to the Eagle Inspection Stamp placed on the U.S. Model 1917 Rifle (1917 Enfield), behind the trigger-guard. However, the Eagle is 'flipped'.

Has anyone seen this stock mark on other Krags? Significance?

krag with eagle-ed.jpgeddystone inspect stamp.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 09-03-2015 at 08:37.

2. Default

Inspector marks placed when these rifles were reworked. Same inspector marks you can find on 1903's of the time period. John Beard commented ( I seem to remember) that there are letters at the base of the eagle head that identify who the inspector was.

3. Default

I bought this rifle. Thanks for the tip. Looks like the eagle is facing the wrong way! In the process of doing some research.

Congratulations on your auction success! Keep posted on what your research reveals.