Default M1906 Saber question

Hey guys not a knife or bayonet but hoping this is still the acceptable group for this question.

I'm not a knowledgable edged weapons collector. So looking for some advice.

pictures are on the way...

i recently picked up a relatively inexpensive M1906 saber. It's a little rough No serious corrosion or pitting but some surface rust and the leather handle is cracking.

id like some non invasive restoration techniques of how to keep to clean the rust up and a good leather preservative (I've heard black rock is good stuff)

before re attempting anything I wanted some advice.

i know these saw so,e service during the Mexican Incursion which is why I was interested in one. I think it'll clean up nicely. The blade is in wonderful shape and unsharpened. Some nicks in the blade itself.

any help is gladly welcomed,

thanks again!

"...clean the rust up..." Same as you do on a firearm. 0000 steel wool and light oil or a light touch with a fine brass wire wheel in a bench grinder. Saddle soap for the leather.
    Look very closely at it. There are lots of repros. A real M1906 in decent condition runs about $450. There's one on one of the U.S. Civil War sites in rusted condition they want $650 for too.
    http://www.civilwarantiqueshop.com/swords.htm
    Spelling and grammar count!

I paid 275 for this, it's rough but I'm hoping it will clean up nicely the biggest detraction are the grips which I'm just managing the decline.

What about using a brass brush, I hear brash wont hard steel.

0000 steel wool will work fine on cleaning very light rust as mentioned.

What I found to work the best on grips is the boot wax that comes in the round can. I would use the dark brown. It will help stabilize the leather and blend in the color if you have some flaking. I have used this on many leather scabbards and grips, and it really helps in the appearance.

Prices on most US swords have been declining for the past 6-7 years from their peak. Hopefully new collectors can start to afford them now.