Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Krag

Default My first Krag Photos added

I just won it on a GB auction. Well really the auction didn't attract any bids so after looking at the rifle in person, it was local to me, I made an offer and it was accepted. The seller listed the bore as rusty and pitted. From the small amount of research I have done the S/N looks to be from 1898, 169XXX, It has a 1902 sight with the pop up peep. Once home I ran a bore brush and patches through the bore. I was amazed as the bore cleaned up with no signs of rust or pitting. What appeared as rust was really just dirt.

It is in what I would call nice shape. Good wood with a minor crack at the rear of the action but no inspection cartouche on the left wrist , 90% bluing, no buggered screw heads. The only minor corrosion is on the butt plate. Everything seems to function as it should and the bore is bright and shiny with no pitting or dark areas. No oiler or cleaning rods, but there was a old, live .30 U.S. round wedged in the oiler hole.

I think I did well at $400.00.

LTC
    Last edited by LTC; 09-02-2015 at 10:06. Reason: Better Photos added

If the rifle is as you describe you did REAL well. A lot of times the lack of cartouche on the stock means the weapon went into an arsenal for a refurb. Your '98 was too late for the Spanish-American War, but it could have seen service in the Philippines or China, and got beat up enough to have to go in for a refit, perhaps at Benicia.
    Take it out shooting. They like to be fired.

JN

Nice looking rifle, and looks like you got it for a steal! If the furniture is cracked behind the receiver, fear not. My 98 rifle cracked there also, and I recently repaired it. I'm still shooting her in multiple matches every year!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I also bought a "sample" Krag some 10 years ago ...now I have SEVEN of them - better watch out when you say "first"!! LOL!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

Looks like a beauty. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I also bought a "sample" Krag some 10 years ago ...now I have SEVEN of them - better watch out when you say "first"!! LOL!
    Amen to that Rick!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

'LTC' - Very nice Krag, Ya did good. Now get it out to Seagirt, N.J., and see how it performs!

seagirt-ed.JPG

The problem is Seagirt is the NJ state Police training facility now. They might have an issue with firing the Krag on their property!

By the way Very nice Krag & a nice price! Toms River here.

I think at 400 you did insanely well. Only 50 dollars more than I paid for a bobbed 1896 with no handguard. HJapp for you I am!
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.