Default Old Iver Johnson Revolver

I have not seen this gun but have been asked to find out "any information possible" on it. It's an Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works, Fitcburo, Mass. Patent dates are April 6-86, Feb 15, 87, May 18, 87, March 18, 88, Aug 25, 96. S/N
    On trigger guard is 21594 - any idea on date of manufacture?

Grip is hard plastic with an owl head in a circle.

Again I have not seen the firearm. The owner was advised the gun is unsafe to fire. All I can tell them is that from what I see they are worth $100 - $200, whether it can be fired or not is a gunsmith's call. I don't know for certain but I suspect it is .32 S&W.

I admit this is a lame post just doing it for a friend....
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 09-01-2015 at 04:39.

Hi. An DA .32 S&W IJ was one of two relics I was given over 40 years ago that got me 'on paper' for free. Loads like an SAA if it was shootable. Rusted stupid from living in a cloth for about 60 or more years before it came to me. The other is a .32-20 Colt Police Positive. Also rusted stupid. And taught me to not take Colt revolver apart. snicker.
    Both of 'em are now 'prohibited' up here. As are all .25 and .32 calibres except high end target guns. Government claimed they were the favourites of criminals.
    Since collectors aren't interested in 'em there's very little published about 'em. Never seen anything myself. Always thought they and those like 'em are a seriously ignored area of study.
    However, there's some decent info on this forum. Multiple posts on IJ's assorted. One in particular near the bottom has a bunch of info.
    http://www.gunvaluesboard.com/iver-j...-15336855.html
    $100-$200 would be very decidedly way over what they're worth.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Griff, the description you gave make them as being made by Iver Johnson around the turn of the century. Sold by just about every hardware store and in the Sears catalogue in 1900 for the Princely sum of $1.29. The vast majority were made in .32 S&W short. Value of what ever someone can get for them. Prime shape maybe $30 if someone wanted one bad enough. Otherwise parts for a good boat anchor. Make more turning them in at a gun buy back program.

Thanks Sunray and Tuna! Very nice of you to reply. From what I have read, they were actually only safe with black powder loads. I'm not interested in it myself just getting info for a friend.

They would have to be like new to be worth much and have a buyer who is interested in the type. These type of cheap revolvers were made by many companies back in those days. Usually they are badly out of time, making them unsafe, no gunsmith needed to determine that! Some people do collect such pistols, a guy here in MI once had a display of at least 50, all different for a show & tell at a gun show. They were all nickel plated with contrasting fire blued trigger, hammers, etc. Beautiful display! He also had some for sale.
    You can never go home again.

That legend was used from 1898 until 1902 on Iver Johnson revolvers. Iver Johnson did not go to a stronger " smokeless " frame until 1909 so it is considered a black powder only revolver. BTW, The ' True ' serial number is on the left grip under the grip panel., if there is no letter prefix then it was made in 1898 i, if any letters are present I need to know before I can give a definite year , regardless it was still made between 1898 and 1902